Stone cannonball?

azzy5463

Feb 28, 2014
Derbyshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,
This was bought for me at a local antique shop in Derbyshire, England about a year ago, it was advertised as an English civil war stone cannonball. I suspected this wasn't correct as I would have thought cannonballs of that era would be made from cast iron? (I'm no expert!)
I'd just like to learn a little more about it really, if anyone could help me out that would be great!
Cheers

- Forgot to mention that it's roughly 5cm diametre

IMG_0069[1].JPG IMG_0070[1].JPG IMG_0071[1].JPG

Last edited:

silvermagnet

Dec 10, 2013
Not so free state of Georgia.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
welcome to tnet azzy! i don't believe stone has ever been used to make cannonballs but maybe someone else here knows otherwise. actualy i just googled it and it was used to make cannonballs!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

azzy5463

Feb 28, 2014
Derbyshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, yeah I read that thread before I posted.. I just thought as this was found in England and not the US, it wouldn't be an Indian game ball as was suggested in the other thread and that someone might have some knowledge of old cannonballs used in Europe.

Also, thanks for the friendly welcome and all the replies!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

azzy5463

Feb 28, 2014
Derbyshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link, so I guess stone cannonballs were used in the civil war! Maybe that's what it is after all.
Just been out to take a few photos in the daylight...
IMG_0075[1].JPG IMG_0074[1].JPG IMG_0073[1].JPG IMG_0072[1].JPG

Upvote 0

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a thread which cannonball guy spoke of stone balls or lead balls were used on farms in undulating equipment to grind up corn or or soften up other things to that effect.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread