stone cannonball

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Photos might help with ruler next to it for size.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Recommend you post it on the "What is it" forum with weight and diameter, where it was found and a pic of it and like villagenut just posted, Cannonballguy who is very informed on the subject will likely respond.

Not saying they don't exist but I have yet to see a stone cannon ball verified here. I suspect that by the time cannons were introduced into North America that stone would have been obsolete as a cannon projectile, but that is just my opinion.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stone cannon balls were used in the first days of cannons. They made it to Europe, but very few were found at castles. By the time cannons were in use in America the time of stone cannon balls was long over. So my guess is grinding stone out of a ball mill. Without a pic and size it's just guessing.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A stone used in a Cannon in the time period to be found in Missouri, would have burst into dust and gravel due to the extreme (relative for the time) chamber pressures.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard stefwilliams1991! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

photo_camera.gif
2nd - A picture(s) is worth a zillion words! If you are having problems posting pictures - take a look at: How to post pictures with your story...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stone cannon balls were used in the first days of cannons. They made it to Europe, but very few were found at castles. By the time cannons were in use in America the time of stone cannon balls was long over. So my guess is grinding stone out of a ball mill. Without a pic and size it's just guessing.

Incorrect...

They were used right through the Civil War.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A stone used in a Cannon in the time period to be found in Missouri, would have burst into dust and gravel due to the extreme (relative for the time) chamber pressures.

Also incorrect.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incorrect...

They were used right through the Civil War.

I don't think it's incorrect. The time for stone cannon balls was long over in civil war times. It may be possible that there were still stone cannon balls used, but if, most likely out of necessity due to shortage in resources. That's a question for an expert in this field.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confederates used stone cannonballs in the Civil War, they were covered in leather. Wartime shortages forced this measure, and by the Atlanta campaign in 1864, they were used as solid shot in lieu of iron cannonballs.

A relic hunting buddy of mine found one - without the leather of course - in a Confederate gun emplacement near Atlanta back in the mid 70's. It was there with several other shells that had been left behind when the gun was moved. It was 12 pounder size.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's incorrect. The time for stone cannon balls was long over in civil war times. It may be possible that there were still stone cannon balls used, but if, most likely out of necessity due to shortage in resources. That's a question for an expert in this field.

lol... one did... I just answered you. heh

(although i hold no "degree" or any other paper that states it... but know enough to teach those that do a thing or two as well.)

And yes... they were not the "norm"... but used... along with anything else they could stuff in one.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also incorrect.

Not incorrect, you need to re-read my reply. I never said that no one tried to use them during the Civil War. No doubt due to lack of resources, stone wasn't the only material they resorted to trying.

What i stated was that they often fragment as they couldn't handle the chamber pressures of cannons from the Civil War Era. Gun powder and cannon design had improved dramatically by the time the Civil War came about resulting in increased chamber pressures compared to earlier cannons and gun powder that fired stone balls. Fragmenting stone is inconsistent and lacks the range and accuracy of iron shot which is why stone had all but been replaced by iron centuries before the civil war.

To get them to clear the barrel without fragmenting would have necessitated such a small charge compared to their iron counterpart, their range and effectiveness would have been severely compromised.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread