Stone Ground Artifacts

DrJay73

Greenie
Apr 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been finding some interesting pieces whole working in my yard. Curious what others think.
Uploading one picture at a time is cumbersome. First post so fumbling a bit.
If I can get a few more pictures up here you may be able to discern a fossilized bivalve. f
Finger and thumb indentations have been smoothed into the surface and wear signs on the working ends.

Attachments

• 20210416_000948.jpg
    20210416_000948.jpg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210416_000813.jpg
    20210416_000813.jpg
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, nothing in picture shows it was worked by man.

OP
OP
D

DrJay73

Greenie
Apr 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The single picture was not my intent but it seems one picture at a time is the default.
I'll try to upload a few more. Hard to tell anything from that but I appreciate the response.
The finger and thumb indentations and wear marks is what makes me think it may be an artifact. The Clovis points stick out which are not common in the NW. The grinding and pecking stones are what I seem to encounter.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The single picture was not my intent but it seems one picture at a time is the default.
I'll try to upload a few more. Hard to tell anything from that but I appreciate the response.
The finger and thumb indentations and wear marks is what makes me think it may be an artifact. The Clovis points stick out which are not common in the NW. The grinding and pecking stones are what I seem to encounter.

You can upload multiple pictures in post before posting, you do up load them 1 at a time, then post all at once. Below was all uploaded before posting .

Monument Valley 4.jpg Dillon, Colorado.jpg Capitol-Reef-National-Park.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures TH!

Thanks, but not actually my pictures, I love the west and pictures of the west I have been to the locations pictures were taken multiple times though...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@OP Are you finding any flint flakes in your yard. They seem to show up first in most cases. Good luck and welcome to the site. You will get the hang of posting pictures. Keep posting .

OP
OP
D

DrJay73

Greenie
Apr 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome.
I don't find much in the way of flint. I'm finding ground stone type.
I look for flaked edges. Usage patterns. What seem to be fine stone grinders don't make for the most compelling pictures. The wear patterns where an item would be held can be subtle in an image yet be very obvious in one's hand.
I will be contacting the Burke Museum about my finds. I submitted photos of an item a couple years ago. They said it was a very interesting piece. It was not a tool though. They thought it had signs of being worked but it was more like an incidental tool.
Pareidolia is alive and well but I try to be on the lookout for it. :wink:
I am sitting on glacial till in north Seattle. I recently found some agatized mussel fossils. About 20 inches down we are already at the Younger Dryas event. Long before the age of arrowheads.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome.
I don't find much in the way of flint. I'm finding ground stone type.
I look for flaked edges. Usage patterns. What seem to be fine stone grinders don't make for the most compelling pictures. The wear patterns where an item would be held can be subtle in an image yet be very obvious in one's hand.
I will be contacting the Burke Museum about my finds. I submitted photos of an item a couple years ago. They said it was a very interesting piece. It was not a tool though. They thought it had signs of being worked but it was more like an incidental tool.
Pareidolia is alive and well but I try to be on the lookout for it. :wink:
I am sitting on glacial till in north Seattle. I recently found some agatized mussel fossils. About 20 inches down we are already at the Younger Dryas event. Long before the age of arrowheads.

Dont be so sure... I find points below the younger/dryas

OP
OP
D

DrJay73

Greenie
Apr 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont be so sure... I find points below the younger/dryas

I am not too sure about many things.

Points being different than arrowheads. I haven't found any sources suggesting arrowheads before before younger/dryas

OP
OP
D

DrJay73

Greenie
Apr 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uploading photos from my laptop isn't working. I'll try to insert one here.
20210422_231331.jpg
A little success. ��

OP
OP
D

DrJay73

Greenie
Apr 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Images uploaded via phone

Multiple attachments attempt
20210422_232700.jpg

I managed to get a couple pictures to upload from my phone. I found this a couple days ago. About 18 inches down. I suspect a digging tool.

It would be helpful for the 8 page discussion on how to upload photos be replaced with a current process that clarifies the steps to upload one or more photos via desktop or smartphone. Windows is pretty intuitive. It makes me think the forum is buggy. Perhaps this is a hurdle to discourage new users. In that case it is working just fine. :BangHead:

Attachments

• 20210422_232632.jpg
    20210422_232632.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210422_232426.jpg
    20210422_232426.jpg
    945.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry they are natural stone, not artifacts.

OP
OP
D

DrJay73

Greenie
Apr 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the laptop
Insert single image is not working.
Advanced attempted to upload two files. Nothing.
I read all eight pages about attaching files. On the first page several posts in someone commented the quoted procedure doesn't work. Eight pages later there is still not a current working procedure outlined.
Hmmm...I'd like to participate but fighting with posting and trying to unlock the riddles of this forum is a bit much.

Click insert image done. Nope

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is on your end, uploading pictures works.

Arches Nationalpark-North-South Windows Sun Rise.jpg

143527249_3877867092338755_6380623859282728551_n.jpg

If you follow the directions in the link below it woks, I just uploaded 2 pictures following the exact steps in the thread from my laptop, windows 10 Edge..

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DrJay73

Greenie
Apr 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read the threads about new users. I hope I have provided some entertainment value.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it may be mostly unhelpful but I had big issues loading pictures till I tweaked something to do with my connection, I think it had something to do with my crappy internet and something vaguely about signing in, I doubt it’s super helpful but maybe it’s enough... I just can’t remember exactly what I did.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know it may be mostly unhelpful but I had big issues loading pictures till I tweaked something to do with my connection, I think it had something to do with my crappy internet and something vaguely about signing in, I doubt it’s super helpful but maybe it’s enough... I just can’t remember exactly what I did.

I've had issues recently that I didn't have at first with loading pics.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read the threads about new users. I hope I have provided some entertainment value.

What operating system are you using?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread