stone pipe

mrd

Greenie
Apr 3, 2016
southern illinois
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello! Newbie here...needing help identifying this pipe..any help would be appreciated!! IMG_20160403_110309.jpgIMG_20160403_110251.jpg

Upvote 0
Where was it found? What is the material? Can you also post more pictures of different angles and some of the stem hole and the bowl?

Thanks.

Two stories ..my great grandfather traded a pocket knife for it or it was found in southern Indiana around Borden on his property! I'll get more pics....oh..definitely rock. Looks like bone fragments in it..

Sounds like that could be one story. Someone found it on his place, and he traded the finder out if it.

I have no idea but it is an awesome piece. And, I would also like to welcome you to the forums. If someone here can't ID it they will give you tips on who or where to take it to.

Strange pipe by shape alone and design. Does the hole go all the way through it? Welcome aboard

99.99999% of those pipes are fake (replicas), but there is an oddly similar example from the Prather site in the collection of a collector who used to set up at the Owensboro/Bowling Green shows. (He might still set up, I haven't been in 5+ years.)

FWIW, Google Maps puts the Prather site about 19 miles from Borden Indiana.

First....Thanks for the Welcome's! I would like to find more info on the Prather site. My great grandfather owned the pipe. My mother thinks it was found on a place called Indian hill outside Borden..She said they found loads of artifacts! Thanks for the help...I'll keep digging....

Nice pipe. It looks like the real deal............

That is an amazing piece. I can't imagine the thrill of finding an artifact like that.

Looks like Pipestone to me. I have two bowls that were my great grandfather's and he lived near Pipestone MN. Mine are very possibly more modern, but still old in the sense my great grandfather had them.

Anybody knowan authenticator around southern Illinois?

Wouldnt be worth the price of the pipe to get it papered. If it was a huge pipe with lots of carvings on it might be worth it.

I don't know any authenticators in Southern Illinois. The best chance would have been taking it to the Collinsville show a couple of weekends back, and I'd probably still look for a show in the area and take it there. (Easy to get lots of opinions without sending the piece away.)

If you want to go the authenticator route, Joseph at IAGA has probably handled more items from the Prather site and the Prather Complex (or Falls of the Ohio Complex) artifacts, he's right across the river in Louisville. Tom Davis or John Berner might also work. Every authenticator out there has baggage, collectors either have a problem with a call they made or they think an artifact is out of their area. As a general rule, I don't like to buy anything from authenticators or their sons/brothers/friends, but if it's a 3rd party opinion on a 3rd party piece, I can see value in their evaluation.

Wouldnt be worth the price of the pipe to get it papered. If it was a huge pipe with lots of carvings on it might be worth it.

For $25, I don't think it would hurt too much to have a paper.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking the same thing...if it turns out to be genuine it's surely worth more than $25

Thanks for the info! I was thinking the same thing...if it turns out to be genuine it's surely worth more than $25

It already is since it came from FAMILY!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back