What's new

Stone pipe

Mine Shaft

Bronze Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2017
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
1,967
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all, looking for a little feedback on this Bird body Indian head stone pipe. I picked this up at a estate sale 20 years ago along with a 8" wale pipe some Axes,Pendants,Discoidal,Bannerstone's,Gorget,and a popeyed bird stone. This stone pipe measures 7 3/4" long. I also wanted to know would it be a good idea to have them authenticated/Graded and if so by what CO. Thank you for any info.
 

Attachments

  • 100_0223.webp
    100_0223.webp
    540.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 100_0222.webp
    100_0222.webp
    293.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_0221.webp
    100_0221.webp
    283.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_0220.webp
    100_0220.webp
    498.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_0219.webp
    100_0219.webp
    306.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_0218.webp
    100_0218.webp
    451.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_0217.webp
    100_0217.webp
    545.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_0216.webp
    100_0216.webp
    476.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_0215.webp
    100_0215.webp
    527.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_0212.webp
    100_0212.webp
    616.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_0210.webp
    100_0210.webp
    532.7 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 0
If you still have them, show us pics of everything else you bought as well. Nice looking pipe but I don't know anything about them.
 
Yes i still have them i might do a group photo. I am hoping its the real deal and not a reproduction.
 
Where is this and the others supposed to be from? I see you are in California but items like you mentioned are Midwestern pieces.

As for your Pipe, it just doesn't look right to me. To me these types are overkill. The feet, the bird body/man head, the obvious gouge and drill marks in the bowl evenly spaced, and the "arrowhead" etched on the top. Never seen one like it anywhere so it's either a very rare example or a modern fantasy piece and I would lean toward the latter. How much did you pay if you don't mind. A Pipe of this caliber would be in the thousands of dollars if real.
 
Hi Grim thanks for your input. I looked up dognose post on his bird stone pipe it also has gouge marks like my pipe. I gave a good chunk of money for the artifacts. As far as where there from i dont know, no information was was given on these artifacts that's also why i asked about a good place to get them authenticated.
 
there is no patina on the scratches either, they look rough and unfinished.
 
In the last pic the small hole is oblong. It seems to me if you were hand drilling with a stone or reed you wouldn't let it get out of round like that. A power drill could get away from you fast and get off center. JMHO
 
Nice buy.Congrats
 
Like Grim said I would go with Jim Bennet, his is the best that I know of.
 
I will send it off Tuesday along with the Whale pipe, only time will tell. Thanks for all the feedback guys.
 
Got the results today, went with IAGA they said modern reproduction ouch, Grim you got a good eye.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom