What's new

Stone Walls & Cart Paths

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Stone Walls & Cart Paths

Headed out on a different cartpath on the local Conservation area,
as I was preparing to head out, I spotted a modern Buckle on the ground,
probably fell out of a hunters vehicle as they were headed up the same path.
It's really well made, the company still makes buckles, but this 1973 is not in thier catalog, & I can't find it anywhere on the web either. Wish it was an 1873!
It is not something i'll use, I may toss it in the woods for another to find.
As I headed out further into the forest, I started getting the feeling i was being watched, Really weird, I'm out here all the time and it doesn't cross my mind.
dug a few spent shells & slugs, then a ricochet musket ball.
I'm figuring it's old, You muzzleloaders don't use round shot, do you?
Adding to this uneasy feeling, next I come across a pitchfork stuck upright in the ground, and a 6 X 3 foot depression in the earth nearby. :dontknow:
no metal in it. This is 3/4 of a mile from the road, off the paths.
Keep wandering, over hill and dale, and I spot stone structure at the top of a small hill. What a find I think! mansion on a hilltop. turns out to be an old cemetary, put my detector down & went in, find earliest stone 1814, others have worn dates.
not listed on any old maps i've researched. saw a big tree growing straight out of a boulder.
I followed the route from the entrance back out to the road, not much for signals other than iron, padlock plate, slide bolt, another brass buckle, that's it.
just posting to let you all know I'm out there hittin the dirt!
thanks for looking! & HH :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • nc finds 12-23 112.webp
    nc finds 12-23 112.webp
    63.9 KB · Views: 834
  • nc finds 12-23 033.webp
    nc finds 12-23 033.webp
    57.2 KB · Views: 811
  • nc finds 12-23 032.webp
    nc finds 12-23 032.webp
    71 KB · Views: 835
  • NC FINDS 12 23 03.webp
    NC FINDS 12 23 03.webp
    76.3 KB · Views: 825
  • NC finds 12 23 02.webp
    NC finds 12 23 02.webp
    83.5 KB · Views: 807
  • NC FINDS 12 23 01.webp
    NC FINDS 12 23 01.webp
    76.3 KB · Views: 803
  • NC finds 12-23.webp
    NC finds 12-23.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 802
  • nc finds 12-23 026.webp
    nc finds 12-23 026.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 798
  • nc finds 12-23 027.webp
    nc finds 12-23 027.webp
    16 KB · Views: 790
Upvote 0
Re: Stone Walls & Cart Paths

Nice Buckle and pics....
Be careful in the fields,there are also wandering spirits :icon_shaking2: and people living alone in the woods . I miss one of my best fields that I someone threw a stone in my Head , but I could never see anyone , this was the place and day of hunting.....and I not returned to the place anymore.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,358074.0.html
Merry Christmas and Happy new Year ! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Stone Walls & Cart Paths

Nice buckle Will :thumbsup: Looks like it is rather older no idea) but the words trading company makes be believe 1800's ::)
 
Re: Stone Walls & Cart Paths

that flat chain link looking thing in photo with all your finds, looks like a strike a lite or flint steel as I call them. that and a flint with some dry tinder were usually kept in a small brass box to get fires started.

nice finds and thanks for sharing.

p.s. yes I do use round balls in my muzzle loaders. it depends on the twist of the barrels rifling. most modern made ones dont they use conical bullets as they are more accurate.
 
Re: Stone Walls & Cart Paths

Thanks for that info! have seen these before and wondered...
I am going to use this as my first electrolosis attempt.
The rust on it appears different than most iron, probably because of it's hardening process.
just took a closer look. it is constructed of two pieces, beveled & then attached.
was found at the base of a rock wall, mixed signals, after finding this, there was some hi conductivity metal in the pile, but too small to recover. ( the remains of a brass box?)
 

Attachments

  • nc finds 12-23 113.webp
    nc finds 12-23 113.webp
    22 KB · Views: 732
  • nc finds 12-23 114.webp
    nc finds 12-23 114.webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 726
Re: Stone Walls & Cart Paths

HISPAN said:
Nice Buckle and pics....
Be careful in the fields,there are also wandering spirits :icon_shaking2: and people living alone in the woods . I miss one of my best fields that I someone threw a stone in my Head , but I could never see anyone , this was the place and day of hunting.....and I not returned to the place anymore.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,358074.0.html
Merry Christmas and Happy new Year ! :thumbsup:
Wow Hispan!
that is quite a story.
The creature known over here as 'Bigfoot/yeti' is a notorious stone thrower.
some debate whether he is an actual creature or a spiritual/dimensional/alien,
I have only gotten the 'Creep' feeling twice in my detecting career, and it was quite pronounced both times, usually it's just 'Happy Hunting' and I think nothing of danger.
Best wishes & Happy Holidays to You & your Family!
 
Re: Stone Walls & Cart Paths

Good stuff Herbie. That belt buckle is great. Bet it made your heart skip a beat when you saw it. :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Stone Walls & Cart Paths

Not much wonder you got creeped out, comming across a rather freshly dug...hole.
Just curious, did you have any feeling it was waiting there for "you" ?
 
Re: Stone Walls & Cart Paths

if I see the tool pinned to the ground, run away ::)
 
Re: Stone Walls & Cart Paths

Nice photos and finds! Your buckle is pretty neat!
 
Re: Stone Walls & Cart Paths

Really cool finds there Herbie! :notworthy:
As always, a great story and photos buddy! :icon_thumright:

steelheadwill said:
"Adding to this uneasy feeling, next I come across a pitchfork stuck upright in the ground, and a 6 X 3 foot depression in the earth nearby. No metal in it. This is 3/4 of a mile from the road, off the paths."

Of course there was no metal to be found in the depression, they obviously stripped the person of their valuables before they buried them! :o


Have a great holiday Herbie!

Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom