Story about cache hunting and ethics

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looooooong ago, in the '60s, near Old Troy (then already abandoned) in Layfette County, FL. I don't remember any names, just my grandmother talking about it. She lived there, knew everyone, and knew the property owners (actually sharecroppers) in this story.

Feller approached "country folk" about searching their property for a cache he had knowledge of. Go ahead was given and he searched. Apparently he found some indication of where to dig and shared with the property owners. "Country folk" refused to allow any digging and ran him off at gunpoint.

A short time after this occured the dirt-poor, hard scrabble sharecroppers were all wearing new clothing and driving a new automobile. Money was being spent on things they never would have purchased in the past. This was in a small rural area where everyone knew everyone else, so the sudden affluence was noticeable, people talked, questions were asked. One business owner remarked that gold coin was used to make a substantial purchase. The above paragraph info came out, but no confirmation that any wealth was recovered. The sharecroppers moved from the area shortly after their sudden affluence was displayed. Family members said they were "doing real good" in their new location.

Analize the data available in the above tale. Do you come to the same conclusion I do?

Cache hunting can have tremendous rewards. The hunter can also get chopped off at the knees. I think the searcher should play their cards VERY close to their vest. What do Y'all think?

Robin

I believe I must quote the most esteemed and gracious philosopher of our time...

"Stupid is as stupid does." Forrest Gump

and, one famous maxim that endures...only the true ones endure.

"There ain't no cure for stupid." Anonymous

:headbang:

if anyone thinks your anything but a 'harmless nut with a metal detector', then you need to improve your image....... :dontknow: :laughing7:

sounds like what I call a lookey-lou or tag-along....I lost a few good coins in my early days from these types....If I encounter this now, I normally try to pass up better signals and intentionally dig some junk til they get bored and move along. If you dig something good straight away, they will most often be at your side the whole time...
Im sure there is something this Thunter COULD have done differently to ensure his share.....and he prolly learned from his mistake (unfortunately) but what is gone....is gone :(

It's a pretty sad story, the stuff that nightmares are made of. "Feller," learned a lesson he'll never forget. What would you do? "You," meaning each of us. Thinking it through and playing Monday morning Quarterback, what could have been done to help prevent this situation from occurring, and what would you do if faced with a similar situation?
It's a pretty loaded question, yet it could happen. Having thought this one through already, I wonder what everyone who reads of this situation would do to prevent it, and how would we prepare to deal with it?

Exanimo!

The Gringo

First: as a preacher friend of mine reminds me...can't fix stupid....applies to both parties
Second: always have a written contract
Finally: be very, very, descrete in your spending habits.
Fortunately my dad (83 yrs old) has always delt in coins since I was 6 (I'm now 62) so I have access to persons that would buy whatever I find and no one else would ever know.
You've got to be smart and very descrete otherwise people notice things.

used to be a time when you could trust a mans word and handshake-- today?? can't even trust his signature on court papers.
hindsight is 20/20-- soooooo if you get in that kind of situation, simply mark an X dig here spot and, if possible get around the corner to watch and see if the dirt flies. at least when you come back you will be able to tell what has happened while
you were gone. :read2:

It is very simple, You tell the owners that you are just searching for loose coins, and you both sign a agreement that all single coins that you find are your :hello2:s, and any treasure find will be share 50-50. Best of luck to all, of you.

cache hunting is hunting a buried or hidden batch of cash * -- the word cache and cash sound the same -- a hidden stash of cash is called a "cache" -- often these moneys are hidden by old miser types who die leaving few if any clues to it whereabouts -- sometimes its ill gotten money that can not be banked without drawing attention to the owner --like from say a robbery or running a gambling operation , moonshining , selling drugs --or other illegal things like selling stolen goods -- to just as simple as selling livestock for cash and not declaring it as income . :wink:

as sharecroppers the folks the "feller" tried to deal with did not own the land --the person they sharecropped for did * --so upon him getting booted off the "sharecroppers" land --the first thing he should have done was to tell the "landowner" about it --he might not have came ahead on the deal , but the double dealing share croppers for sure would not have( the landowner upon learning the sharecroppers were trying to screw em would have most likely thrown them off the land ) --maybe the "feller" had already asked the land owner and was turned down ? which is why he talked to the " sharecroppers" in the first place -- any way he really should have talking to and dealing with only the the land owner --as the share croppers legally speaking got no rights to the land or anything in it -- since they are just "renting" it in effect

The moral of the story is, "Never tell anyone anything." Notice the period.

I agree with the comments so far, but a couple lines bother me; [ in the 60's, and One business owner remarked that gold coin was used to make a substantial purchase.] I lived in the 60's and I never heard of anyone spending gold coins at any place of business. I would think if someone had gold coins, they would sell them to a collector and then spend the cash.
Don't know, just an old Cowboy's opinion

by law gold was illegal to use as money in thge 1960's for americans -- in 1933 FDR called in all the gold money coinage in america -- thus it was illegal to own or use american gold coins for americans --nixon was the one who made -- american gold money "legal" to own again in 1970's *

The best way to invest in gold and silver coins is to find them. I live in Bridgeport Connecticut. Best of luck to all of you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back