Story with Exciting Beginning (Boring Ending)

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I was opening a checking account at my newest dump bank and noticed someone walk in with . . .

First, the back story on this bank.

Yesterday, I stopped in askin: "have any half dollars?" The personal banker (who was an acting teller because it was lunch time) said that they have "a few for their business customers." I asked if I could buy a dozen rolls or so. She said she would ask the vault teller and then asked if I was a customer. I said no, is that ok? She asked why I wasn't going to my bank for this request and I told her my bank was out of town and I was just on my lunch hour (true, and true).

She told me about their free checking products, investment services, blah, blah, and then, the good part - they give you $100 for opening a checking account (if you direct deposit and use the debit card 3x within 2mo). I was intrigued, but my mind was still on the CRH fodder. I asked about getting rolls of half dollars. She said she would ask. She disappeared into the vault and came back with 10 rolls of Strings machine roll. She said that is all she could let me have for now but I could have a few rolls each time I came in if I had an account. I'm thinking that's odd, a few rolls at a time. Who ever heard of such a thing. :icon_scratch:

I took the 10 rolls - found a '69 and '64 (both from the same roll). After that, I couldn't think about anything but the balance of that box of halves all evening. Next day, I called and said I would open an account, how many rolls can I have. She said I could have 5 rolls, I said how about 10. She said no. I did want the $100 sign on bonus, so I went there and opened the account.

Back to the story about the guy who walked in while I was waiting for her to finish writing my new account.

I'm sitting there waiting while she deposits my opening balance. I see an elderly fella walk in with a see-through bag of coins. I can see that they are big coins, but can't tell what exactly. The guy must have been in his late '70s. I'm 30ft away, trying to discern what's in the baggie. He does some business with depositing something, some cash back, etc. Then, he dumps the bag onto the counter. I didn't hear any silver, but there were definitely some large dollars and some half dollars for sure. He said he had 21 silver dollars plus some 50cent pieces to trade in. The CRH part of my brain screamed MORGAN dollars, PEACE dollars. The logical part of my brain (they are not the same parts of the brain) calmly said Ike dollars. Then the CRH part of my brain said, doesn't matter, I want 'em whatever they are.

I watched intently, but inconspicuously. I never clearly saw the dollars, but reality is that if they were silver, I never had a chance at them anyway. If they were Ikes, I didn't really miss out on too much. I did see two stacks of halves and an edge search from 15ft away said they were all cu-ni.

When the personal banker came back, I asked her if I could buy the coins from the tray that the guy just dropped off and she said no, they have to go into the coin machine. She said that they weren't even allowed to buy them. Sounds like melarkey to me, but I'm relatively sure there wasn't a whole lot going on there anyway. All told, it's a dump bank either way. I'll dump at a branch that is closer to me and anytime I pass by this one, I'll go in and ask for a few rolls from this branch. The box I got a taste of tasted pretty sweet and will be on my mind.

The 5 rolls were skunk. I dumped them and a bunch more at another branch. When I got back to work, I set up a $100 direct deposit that I can stop or change the amount on at any time after 2mo. In 2mo, I'll get $100 added to my account and according to the dump branch, can dump any amount as often as I please.

We'll see if they change their tune on the any amount as often as I please policy when I get into my rhythm :laughing7:.

Upvote 0
I wish you well, friend.

I hope you escape the interview--"Mr. Madwest, when we said ANY amount AS OFTEN as you please, we really didn't know you would be doing anything but emptying your little piggy bank...."

Great story!!! Thanks for sharing and I know exactly what you mean about the two sides of the brain thing! LOL!!!! Good luck!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back