Strange behavior from my Excalibur

Birdman1

Jul 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's XLT and Surf Pro PI, Minelab Excal 1000
I have had my Excal for several weeks. Used it a bunch at the local freshwater beach. Found more than a dozen rings and lots of coins. It worked great. Last week I went on vacation to the Destin Florida area to do some ocean detecting. As soon as I started detecting it started beeping and sputtering constantly; almost sounded like Morse code, very annoying. Tried it on the dry sand and it was fine. I had the discriminate set at 3 and the sensitivity set at 11 o'clock, what I have been using here at home at the local beach. Put the sens. on auto and it only helped a very little. So then I turned the sens up to 8 and it was better, but would still beep and sputter with me just standing still in the water. I found very little in the water, a few pull tabs and a couple of coins. Do you think there is something wrong with my machine or do I need to change the settings for the ocean? The only thing I could find in the manual was to put it on auto., and that really did not help much. I went to another freshwater beach on Monday of this week and it worked great, found 2 rings and almost $6 in coins.

Upvote 0
Salt water is allway´s a problem, for this area you either need a Minelab with multi frequency, or a pulse induction machine. Normal VLF´s have real problems in this area.
HH Ray

Birdman, you should first remove your coil cover if you have one to remove any extra black sand that might me inside. In certain locations you may need to turn down the sens. to even more, like 5 or even 3. Don't worry, it still has plenty of depth at the those settings in most areas. Then too, you may be near someone that is using a radio freq that the Excal is picking up. Other detectors can do this also.

I know one state police post that when they broadcast, my Excal knows about it. It took the detector in the station and checked the Excal at different settings. The only thing that helped was very low sensitivity. Someone told me that Wi-Fi locations will bother the detectors, but I haven't checked on this with Minelab as I just got an email on it today.

Also check the connection at the coil plug. It could be something simple like water or a loose plug. Good Luck.

sandman

Like sandman said first, then try hunting this way:

Hunt in All-Metal (Pin Point), Disc on 1, Sensitivity on Manual but just above the click from Auto, Volume all the way up, and Threshold down until you can just hear a steady tone. You will dig more, but you will also find more goodies.

Best-Mike

Bit like European Detectors, you dig more (because you´re not notching things out), but you find more goodies too.;-)
HH Ray

Thanks everyone for the help. I don't have the coil cover, I used the epoxy treatment on the coil. I don't know if it was any outside interference because it would work fine on the dry sand, just beep like crazy in the salt water, at the same beach. I also went to several different beaches in the Destin area and it repeated this behavior at every one of them. I will check all the connections and try some of the different adjustments.

There are many spots on the beachs on the east coast of Florida where you get interference, but they are not that large. You probably just needed to turn the sen down a little more. I run mine between the 11 to 3 o'clock position on the dial, adjusting it till it settles down. I have never had a problem with depth even at the 3 o'clock position.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back