What's new

Strange Buckle Found

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I dug this buckle at a site that was occupied until a little before the Civil War. I would like to know if anyone has dug a buckle like this, abd I'd really love to figure out what it was used for. It is very sturdy, unlike most of the iron buckles associated with horse tack.

Any idea of how old it is?


Best Wishes,



Buckleboy


A 021.webp
 
Montana Jim said:
Is it hinged there at the top? Or, all one piece?

It is all one piece--which made me think it was possibly of the trouser variety. I've just never seen anything dug or posted like it. :icon_scratch:

Anybody have a buckle book for civilian styles? I know they exist for colonial era shoe buckles, etc.
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:

Thanks for the link! It closely resembles the annular buckles in the photos--except that it is made of iron (whereas the others in the link are brass). I would have trouble believing that the buckle I found is a 1600s item, though.

But I'm glad that there are some other examples in the same style. If I could find the measurements of some of those pictured, I might have a better idea.

-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
texastee2007 said:
is it the right size for a cinch ring on a horse's saddle?

Ummm...I don't know how big the cinch ring on a horse's saddle is. I think I've found one before--made of iron and looks like a coffin handle?

This isn't one of those, if that's the case.

In terms of size...you tell me. The nickel beside it is nickel-sized. :-*


Best Wishes,


Buck
 
Upvote 0
Buckle's.......Take it for what it is......You can't find the "HOLY GRAIL" everyday :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
civilman1 said:
Buckle's.......Take it for what it is......You can't find the "HOLY GRAIL" everyday :icon_scratch:



I don't know what it is. That's why I posted it here. :-\
 
Upvote 0
bump.
 
Upvote 0
i got tons of um[size=9pt]i lied :laughing9:[/size]
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:

Have you tryed electrolysis on it yet, or do you think it's too far gone?
 
Upvote 0
RPG said:
BuckleBoy said:

Have you tryed electrolysis on it yet, or do you think it's too far gone?

I did put it through electrolysis, and...it looks pretty much the same. :-\ :icon_scratch:


I just posted it because I thought it was an unusual shape. That's the only one that shape I've ever found.
 
Upvote 0
BB,
I just found this post and I may have a match to your buckle. This one I dug at the 1830's CW house a few years back, but the original house on the property went into the 1740's. (Same property where I dug the Spanish silver piece of eight)
Mine measures about 3 1/2" wide, is iron, and has been through electrolysis.
What do you think?
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • MVC-125S.webp
    MVC-125S.webp
    42.7 KB · Views: 277
  • MVC-126S.webp
    MVC-126S.webp
    42 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0
Wonder if it could have been a buckle for straps. An item to secure a load on a wagon. I guess that would be a cinch strap. Heck I do not know but it looks familiar.
Good luck
TnMtns
 
Upvote 0
ModernMiner said:
BB,
I just found this post and I may have a match to your buckle. This one I dug at the 1830's CW house a few years back, but the original house on the property went into the 1740's. (Same property where I dug the Spanish silver piece of eight)
Mine measures about 3 1/2" wide, is iron, and has been through electrolysis.
What do you think?
-MM-

MM,

Thanks for posting this. :thumbsup: It's great to see another example. I had wondered if the one I found was just a cinch without a tongue portion, but you have recovered one with a tongue. :icon_sunny:

Very cool!
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
ModernMiner said:
BB,
I just found this post and I may have a match to your buckle. This one I dug at the 1830's CW house a few years back, but the original house on the property went into the 1740's. (Same property where I dug the Spanish silver piece of eight)
Mine measures about 3 1/2" wide, is iron, and has been through electrolysis.
What do you think?
-MM-

MM,

Thanks for posting this. :thumbsup: It's great to see another example. I had wondered if the one I found was just a cinch without a tongue portion, but you have recovered one with a tongue. :icon_sunny:

Very cool!

Thanks BB.
I got lucky on that one. Normally I'll find the tongue and no buckle. :tongue3: ;D
-MM-
 
Upvote 0
texastee2007 said:
is it the right size for a cinch ring on a horse's saddle?
i kinda agree with texastee2007 it looks like a cinch ring mabye not for a saddle but mabye the reins, or stirrup, or wagon hold, just a guess
 
Upvote 0
here is a picture creskol sent to help identify some cockeyes i had. but it shows some cinches in various locations
 

Attachments

  • harness.webp
    harness.webp
    56.8 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 0
traderoftreasures said:
here is a picture creskol sent to help identify some cockeyes i had. but it shows some cinches in various locations

Thanks for sharing the photo, Jim.

I originally thought this was not horse-related due to its large size, but there are other buckles/cinches in that photo that are as large.

I'm calling this one Solved. Thank you for the help, guys.


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom