Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a coin garden out in my backyard and the coins have been in the ground nearly two years. I parked my camping trailer on top of my coin garden and haven't been able to get to it for about 6 months. So, I moved my trailer and decided to put an orange tee where my coins were planted so I could identify them easily. The coins are mostly at 4" with a couple being at 6". So, last week I took my Safari out and located all the coins and put tees in the ground. Yesterday I noticed that Digsy my dog had pulled up my tees and was chewing on them so I decided to redo them. I took my Silver Umax out and couldn't find the coins! It has easily found coins for me down to six inches consistantly too. So, I dug out my ACE 250 and had the same problem! Then came the Safari and the signals were really weak even though I did finally find a few of them. Now I know the Safari easily hits coins at 9" or more and have dug a bunch at that depth or deeper. So, what's the deal? I can't figure it out. We've had rain every day for over a week and the ground is really wet. Usually that makes it easier to find things at any depth. But not yesterday. We had a storm two nights ago wiih a lot of really bad ground to cloud lightening and several strikes around close. That's the only difference I am aware of. Do you think the lightening in the atmosphere could cause a problem with the detectors readings? Any ideas? Sure has me puzzled. Monty

unearthed

Nov 29, 2008
Yellow Tavern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Wilson R&C III, Minelab Safari, X-Terra 70, Xp Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion it's not lightning strikes that are making your detectors difficult to understand. I've noticed that too much ground moisture can make things different, as can too little ground moisture.
Not just talking about the safari; have noticed with others as well.

HH
Unearthed

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest: