Strange day some good finds

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out of the office for 3 hrs today and decided to go to an area where in 1827 a town was built. When the railroad came through 30 miles away the town was abandoned and now has been taken over by Deltona. After going a Google earth map I found a few spots that were empty and decided to go check them out.

The first spot was a retention pond which would have been in the center of the town and had high banks. I figured they must have dug out the land and put the dirt around it. The first 20 minutes I only found junk and was ready to give up when I got a good signal on my T2 LTD. When I dug down 9 or so inches and it was still there I thought it was just more junk but kept digging. Out popped a copper coin very worn with a lady facing left and the letters UN on the back (pictured below). I can't find a date but it must be old. (does anyone know what it is?)

A few feet away another good signal. and out pops a 1965 one penny coin from England. A foot away out pops a 1940 2 Franc coin from France. At this point I don't know what to think. Was this someones coin collection lost or did someone drop these?

Another 1/2 hr produced junk and a couple of wheat cents. I decided to hunt the sidewalk on my way back to the car. Pop top heaven. Again, I was about to give up when that lovely silver sound rang in my ears. Up popped a 1944 Merc. As I scanned the hole a second time another Merc came up.

About 30' down the walk another silver sound and a 1955 rosie. Walking the last 20' to the car another silver signal and an another 1940's Merc. I was really excited and then came the pour down rain. Sat in the car for about 30 minutes and decided to come back another day. Not a bad day and the first time I've gotten out in a couple of weeks. I still have 2 more fair grounds to search and the one I broke into but I'll wait until an early Sunday morning to search them again.

Coins found1 10222019.jpg

Coins found 2 10222019.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16
OP
OP
Billieg

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very pleasant grouping of coins! Gotta love those silvers!!!

Thanks. I must be the Merc man. Almost every time I go out I find at least 1. I now have a zip lock bag full as well as a binder with each year. I have yet to find a gold coin and that's on my bucket list.

Last edited:

SWINGER1969

May 11, 2019
Morristown,Minnesota
Detector(s) used
garrett at max, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great finds, i like to find foreign coins it really makes me wonder on the history of how they got here.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Billie!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Wonder how all those foreign coins got there! You ended up picking a great spot anyway! :icon_thumleft:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and some great coins. I think the first coin has a French look to it too, but I'm no expert. Just my 2 cents worth. Congrats. On a second look, that coin may come from a Spanish speaking country. I can't quite make out the writing on it, but it looks like Spanish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billieg

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and some great coins. I think the first coin has a French look to it too, but I'm no expert. Just my 2 cents worth. Congrats.

"I Wonder how all those foreign coins got there! You ended up picking a great spot anyway! "

I hope someone can tell me what it is. I wonder too because the large coin is very old and the other 2 are fairly new. I'm surprised I didn't find more old US coins. After 30+ years hunting I'm still surprised.

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job Bill!! I like finding foreign coins as well, I found an Austrian 1 schilling last week in the middle of nowhere, definitely makes you wonder

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very good day.Congratulations

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice handful of coins. Some good looking silver. Congrats

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an excellent hunt congrats! The big copper is definitely French. You should be able to find it pretty easily on the web.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first coin is a French Un Decime from the early 1800's. You would have to get more precise details to get an actual year. Your photo is a bit too blurry for that.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first coin is a French Un Decime from the early 1800's. You would have to get more precise details to get an actual year. Your photo is a bit too blurry for that.

Good I.D.!

I had to look it up but, you are correct I believe.

OP
OP
Billieg

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you! It's too worn to see a date.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really isn't an actual numeric date on that coin. On the reverse under Decime, there will be some letters and a number. It will start L'AN and then a number followed by a letter or two.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job Bill!! I like finding foreign coins as well, I found an Austrian 1 schilling last week in the middle of nowhere, definitely makes you wonder

Absolutely... a few months ago out popped an 1882 Greek 5 lepta coin in a front yard in Ohio. The most random thing.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Great finds! Especially the old French one. I have to imagine most coins that are from other countries from around the time of WWII came back as souvenirs or just weren't able to be spent by troops abroad and were lost later on. Cool stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread