What's new

Strange Dime???

alexfm123

Full Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2009
Messages
121
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Far West Texas
I went out this morning and bought some dog food. I paid cash, and got a couple coins in my change. I just got home now, and looking at one of the dimes, it seems... different. It is noticeably thicker than the other dimes I got, and the details are very much like a high relief die. It is a 1985 D. Any insight on this?

Alex.
 
Upvote 0
Without a picture its difficult to tell what you have. The thickness you describe could be a proof. What is the mintmark? If its an S, its a proof.

-Codes
 
I'll have pictures posted shortly. It has a Denver mintmark, because that was my initial thought, that it was a circulated proof.
Alex.
 
Ok, I got some pictures. I know they are very, very big, but thats the best I can do.

The coin in question is on the left in all the pictures. You can see it is "different" than the regular dime i put next to it for comparison.

Thicker than a regular dime:
P1010767.jpg


High-Relief-ish:
P1010766.jpg


Reverse:
P1010768.jpg
 
Just a slightly thicker planchet, nothing special. Mint quality was abysmal in the late 70s and early 80s, so this is no surprise. It looks high relief as the thicker planchet made it possible to strike up all the detail.
 
I searched $22K in dimes this year and saw lots of those fatties, i normally edge search but last week i pulled a clad proof S mint. ffd
 
E plurbis unim seems to be double punched?
 
Thanks for you thoughts everyone. cdltpx, I think that was just my hands shaking. ;D Too much heavy metal maybe....

Alex.
 
When they make the coin blanks, they get a rolling machine to roll it down to a specific width. Sometimes, the rolling machine ends early, and that's why you get a thick coin.
 
I checked my pattern book for you! (It has all experimental coins and types that were struck but never used, Example: 1974 Aluminum penny. Interesting eh?) It doesn't exist... Maybe thicker planchet as said above, or just a much MUCH nicer strike!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom