What's new

Strange Find At Late 1700s Plantation

twister

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Messages
1,130
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Location
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

Finally got out today at a old plantation. It dates back to the late 1700's. There was 14 slave houses on the site and most of them are gone. I found this in the foundation of one of the slave houses. Im not sure what it is and I have been trying to find out a little about it and not having much luck. Any help would be gladly appreciated. The name on it is a Melba insignia. All in all it was a great day.

HH Twister
 

Attachments

  • melbafront.webp
    melbafront.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,631
  • melbaback.webp
    melbaback.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,598
Upvote 0
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

google slavery artifacts and see what comes up.
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

Very Nice find Twister
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

I found an ad for a 1920's beauty creame called "Cashmere" by Melba. The link was dead, unfortunately. But the compact is definately of that era and not 1700's.
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

The plantation was from the late 1700's. I know the compact wasnt that old. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

HH Twister
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

The closest thing I could find on this is a 1926 Face Powder Ad
eBay: 1926 MELBA FACE POWDER AD / SOPHISTICATED FEMALE! (item 250038609884 end time Apr-10-07 17:39:36 PDT)

I modified post cause I didnt realize the pic would be so big. I still have original size if it's needed and the Ebay link for it
 

Attachments

  • Melba Face Powder Ad_small.webp
    Melba Face Powder Ad_small.webp
    15 KB · Views: 1,363
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

Cool find. You definately got yourself some history there.
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

I kinda like the design Twister...simple!!...Good luck with the site and HH!
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

Neat find, Twister! We look forward to seeing what else you can find there.

HH
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

Very cool find.....Melba Manufacturing Company Chicago Illinois
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

Says that Vivaudou...owned by the Schulte Enterprises bought Melba in 1926.....


David Schulte is conspicuous in chain store circles. More than a year ago his 800 tobacco temples entered into partnership with the 3,000 United Cigar Stores.* Shortly after that he bought Huylers, Inc. (48 tea, ice cream and candy saloons). He has interests in V. Vivaudou, Inc., Park & Tilford, Dunhill International, Inc., Melba Manufacturing Co., American Druggists Syndicate, the Alfred H. Smith Co. As amazing sideshows, he paid $75,000,000 for the French tobacco monopoly two years ago, and bought the Overholt distillery (2,000,000 gallons of whiskey) for $15,000,000. Also he is the man who profited $1,000,000 by buying and selling Aeolian Hall in Manhattan within a week in October 1924.
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

Wow, thats what I love about this site. Everyone is so quick about research. Very impressive :)

Thanks Everyone

HH Twister
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

Over the years I've dug a hundred little compacts like that. Usually they have dried out rouge in them, but... I have found coins inside. Have you opened it up???
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

Sounds like a site that will keep you busy for a while, Twister! 8)

Congrats on that nice find and hope ya find lots more keepers from there.

Nana :)
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

Nice find..... keep us posted on what else ya find at that place......
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

bookfisher said:
What you've found is a circa 1920-1930 ladies compact.
Damn! You beat me.
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

;D Congrats.
 
Re: Strange Find At Late 1700's Plantation

Nice find! It's in great shape. I'd like to know if it opens, and whats inside also! Let us know please.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom