What's new

strange find

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2009
Messages
1,915
Reaction score
120
Golden Thread
0
Location
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first I found a 2005d Half, not a big deal. better than nothing..... The next roll was a 1971 half dollar that appears to either be made of nothing but copper, or someone tampered with it. It really appears to be solid copper though, on both sides. Does anyone know if there was any kind of error like this??
I've neverseen anything like this, and I've searched a lot of halves. I also found a couple 1971 half dollars that had a very strange rim, they had like an extra raised rim. Are these errors?
any help would be nice
 
Upvote 0
It's probably missing the non-copper layer. You tend to find those type of errors during the first years that they made clad coins because of the newness of it all, and the record mintages. Also, pictures would help A LOT.
 
I will post pics as soon as I can, probly in the next couple days. Do you know if it would be worth anything if it is some kind of strange error?
 
Hi,

I can tell you for sure if it is simply discolored or it is actually missing a clad layer. Usually, the details are a little weak when a layer is missing. If the coin looks to be normally struck, it is probably discolored by what we usually refer to as "environmental damage". I'll wait for pictures.

Thanks,
Bill
PS: I'm gonna check the box so that I am notified of the replies. That way, I'll remember to check:-)
 
Halves will also get that copper color if they are dug up with an MD and put into a tumbler that contains pennies.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom