cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At lunch today I am going to take in some AU to refine. One piece is a twisted wire (2 strand) bracelet. Together both strands are 1/8" wide. It tests between 8k and 12k white gold. Different parts test differently with my electronic tester. So I tried to cut it in half with a pair of heavy duty wire cutters. I could barely make a dent in it. I then took a jewelers file to it and after 20 strokes I barely got down 2-3 thousands inch. It is a hard metal.

When I first got widely different readings I thought gold filled. But with gold filled I would get junk/good/junk/good. On this I get good/great/good/great.

Any ideas?

I will let all know the results, after lunch, if the refiner will do a separate melt on the bracelet. I am bringing in 64.4gr.

At lunch today I am going to take in some AU to refine. One piece is a twisted wire (2 strand) bracelet. Together both strands are 1/8" wide. It tests between 8k and 12k white gold. Different parts test differently with my electronic tester. So I tried to cut it in half with a pair of heavy duty wire cutters. I could barely make a dent in it. I then took a jewelers file to it and after 20 strokes I barely got down 2-3 thousands inch. It is a hard metal.

When I first got widely different readings I thought gold filled. But with gold filled I would get junk/good/junk/good. On this I get good/great/good/great.

Any ideas?

I will let all know the results, after lunch, if the refiner will do a separate melt on the bracelet. I am bringing in 64.4gr.

Maybe tungsten filled gold jewelry? I heard they export that from China now.

Jim

cyberdan said:

problem solved 11.2gr of iron - chromium - nickel (and it is non-magnetic)

I knew something was wrong, but my GT3000 kept telling me AU
good thing it didn't cost me very much.

That's why I stick to 90% coins, known named bars and gold American coins. I used to stack jewelry and such but got bit twice so that was the end of that.
By the way cyberdan was it Italian?

I know why you asked Italian. I have had two bracelets marked 14K ITALIAN that were fake. But, when I said it out loud it had a Chinese accent.

This was unmarked and it was part of the 300 pounds of jewelry/watches I bought last year for around $200

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back