What's new

Strange Horseshoe???

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today was my first dig of 2010, and I went back to the same area in which I found a 1600's Spectacle Buckle. I 'think' this is some type of horseshoe, but really have no idea. It was between 12-14 inches deep, and most of the CW items I have found in this area have only been 6-7 inches deep. I found another strange looking iron piece, and will post it separately. Any help/info on this would be appreciated. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • StrangeHorseshoe.webp
    StrangeHorseshoe.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 602
Horse could have stepped in soft mud and sunk 12-14 inches and shoe came off.
 

Attachments

  • Shoes.webp
    Shoes.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,295
Upvote 0
goldguru said:
some kind of Bar shoe ?

u could also google heartbar shoe

GG, I looked at those bar type shoes, but could not find one that was shaped like this one with the normal looking "U" shape with the pointed bar across the bottom.
 
Upvote 0
RPG, thanks for the link. There is one posted by LumberCamp that is very similiar to mine. I wonder what age/era they are? I cleaned it up a little more, and here are 2 better pics. Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • StrangeHorseShow3.webp
    StrangeHorseShow3.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 429
  • StrangeHorseShoe2.webp
    StrangeHorseShoe2.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 495
Upvote 0
Wow that's cool. I've never seen one like that before. Hopefully someone will be able to 100% ID it.
 
Upvote 0
a corrective type horse shoe made special by a black smith for a horse with some type of foot condition --is my best guess
 
Upvote 0
It's a traction shoe. The "cleats" are for mud loose dirt etc. The bar is probably to make it stronger but could be corrective purposes. Being on the narrow side, I would say it was a mule shoe. I would also say CW era. My guess would be ,,, shoe from a draft mule that pulled a wagon in the CW :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :coffee2: ;D. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Tony in SC said:
It's a traction shoe. The "cleats" are for mud loose dirt etc. The bar is probably to make it stronger but could be corrective purposes. Being on the narrow side, I would say it was a mule shoe. I would also say CW era. My guess would be ,,, shoe from a draft mule that pulled a wagon in the CW :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :coffee2: ;D. Tony

Tony, Is a mule shoe smaller (more narrow) than a horse shoe? The shoe measures only 4 inches across, and is much smaller than any of the other shoes I have found. Since mules are generally larger than horses (unless they are draft), I thought their feet would be larger too. This is what I love about TN, I learn something new almost every day.When you say 'cleats,' are you referring to the turned up area in the back of the shoe? Thanks, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
I found one like your's in the town I live in. The town was built from the lumbering boom in the last half of the 19th century. I don't know if it's a horse or mule shoe. I would say that it was made for soft or sandy soil. Most of the horses they had here were big like morgans for logging and farming.The shoe on the right is for use on ice. It has long cleats on the back and two pointed cleats on the front. I would like to know for sure what kind of shoe it is too.

Wolverine.
 

Attachments

  • SANY0063 (2) horseshoe.webp
    SANY0063 (2) horseshoe.webp
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,404
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Tony in SC said:
It's a traction shoe. The "cleats" are for mud loose dirt etc. The bar is probably to make it stronger but could be corrective purposes. Being on the narrow side, I would say it was a mule shoe. I would also say CW era. My guess would be ,,, shoe from a draft mule that pulled a wagon in the CW :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :coffee2: ;D. Tony

Tony, Is a mule shoe smaller (more narrow) than a horse shoe? The shoe measures only 4 inches across, and is much smaller than any of the other shoes I have found. Since mules are generally larger than horses (unless they are draft), I thought their feet would be larger too. This is what I love about TN, I learn something new almost every day.When you say 'cleats,' are you referring to the turned up area in the back of the shoe? Thanks, Breezie

Yes the cleat is the turned down end of the shoe. This gives more traction in mud snow fresh dirt etc. Mules come in all sizes, just like horses. Mules usually have a long narrow hoof. A good mule today will cost as much as a thoroughbread horse. Tony
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom