What's new

Strange little end scraper

theviking

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
1,404
Reaction score
921
Golden Thread
0
Location
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this in the creek the other day, not sure about the material, maybe some type of local chert. One of the different things about this piece is the thickness, much fatter than the others I have found, also its not broken. The other piece is probably made by mother nature but I thought it was cool enough to add to the rock garden. It's a piece of Quartzite flat on both sides and a little less than 3/4" thick, Almost looks cut. Thanks for looking, H.H.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_8646 (800x531).webp
    DSC_8646 (800x531).webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC_8656 (800x532).webp
    DSC_8656 (800x532).webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_8655 (800x532).webp
    DSC_8655 (800x532).webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_8653 (800x532).webp
    DSC_8653 (800x532).webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC_8658 (800x532).webp
    DSC_8658 (800x532).webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC_8659 (800x532).webp
    DSC_8659 (800x532).webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_8660 (800x532).webp
    DSC_8660 (800x532).webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF0013 (800x600).webp
    DSCF0013 (800x600).webp
    155.9 KB · Views: 510
Upvote 0
humpback scraper
 
SOHIO is right. I found 1 a couple months ago. the guys here in florida call them turtleback scrapers. looks like yours was hafted.

ForumRunner_20120717_220940.webp
 
Last edited:
SOHIO is right. I found 1 a couple months ago. the guys here in florida call them turtleback scrapers. looks like yours was hafted.

View attachment 655086

yeah i hear them called that too, yeah it was probably hafted, usually they are oval or egg shaped or oblong...thats what she said.
 
For a long time scrappers like that were thought to be a paleo artifact. Some are. But it was such a great tool it was replicated many times by many cultures. It is a good find Viking. I keep every one and to me they are as good an artifact as any. I like the tools.
HH
 
Few Humpback scrapers from here on the property. First one is red Quartzite, other one is vein Quartz.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_8708 (800x532).webp
    DSC_8708 (800x532).webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC_8710 (800x532).webp
    DSC_8710 (800x532).webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 204
huh.. those are different than what I'm used to. I don't think I even see any secondary flaking. I'm probably wrong but if I found them on 1 of my sites I would have thought they were quarry blanks
 
The way it was explained to me is that only the rough bottom of this tool get's used, similar to a rasp, no need for secondary flaking once the shape is achieved. The little work done seem's to be polished away with use. Although I have a few that do seem to have excessive flaking.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_8727 (800x532).webp
    DSC_8727 (800x532).webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 219
thank you. almost seems a possible woodworking tool like a sanding block.
 
IMG_1103.webpIMG_1104.webpIMG_1105.webphere are a few that i just found in a box.....almost all are KRF with the last being banded agate
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom