About 1 1/2 miles from McClain Springs I had a faint signal and dug. I recovered a brass belt buckle that resembled a Boy Scout belt buckle, but it did not have the insignia. I was about to cover the hole but scanned my old Bounty Hunter over it again and caught another meter blip, a few inches to the left. I dug, and the sand turned grey. BFO detectors give a broad range so I dug a wide hole. A few pieces of what I thought was wood turned out to be a rib cage. The signal was a 1918 Mercury Dime. Still in the pocket of a dead man. I contacted the rangers in Furnace Creek and they just laughed. "Lots of prospectors died out here during the depression years"
What may have been amusing to them, left a life long impression on me. I have't been back in 25 years.