Streak of White Inclusive Material Through Gray Onondaga Chert

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The broken base and broken shoulder don't bother me one bit: the well-defined streak of white through this point is something to behold! Never seen anything like it. It must have been a special point to the maker.

Found just today in in a shallow wash out of a corn field in Cayuga County NY. White Lightning!

(OK....the broken base and shoulder DO bother me a little....but what ya gonna do?)

lightning 1.jpg

lightning 2.jpg

Upvote 0

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wonder how early in the knapping process does something like that have to be planned to come out so well. Nice find.

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool piece! I have yet to find something like that, but if there's one there are probably more out there :headbang:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
A lot of collectors refer that thin vein of white material as a lightning bolt when it’s on a dark material like that. Coshocton/Upper Mercer occasionally has nice ones like yours. Kind of takes a plain point and makes it exponentially nicer.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Lightning Bolt" it is!

The only issue for a potential restoration: what did the original base look like? I suspect it was a slightly expanding stem....like a Susquehanna Broadpoint, but I would hate to have an inaccurate base put onto this beauty.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uniqueness always makes it special in one way or another. Nice One!:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions