What's new

Studded strap

kyphote

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
585
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a strap I found on a productive Confederate site in Virginia. The leather is brittle to the touch but I can't determine if it's antebellum. 8 inches wide; buttons are brass. Script I button found 20 yards away. Thanks in advance for any insight!
 

Attachments

  • studded strap.webp
    studded strap.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 427
Can you tell if the studs are hollow and have 2 or more small tabs on them to hold them to the leather? if so I would think it is early 1900s or later.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like part of the belt portion of a 1950's cap gun HOLSTER to me. Does a magnet stick to the studs? If so, they are nickel, and 90% of the studs on these 50's holsters were nickel. Also, do the studs have 2 or 4 prongs on the back or is it a single post? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
It looks like part of the belt portion of a 1950's cap gun HOLSTER to me. Does a magnet stick to the studs? If so, they are nickel, and 90% of the studs on these 50's holsters were nickel. Also, do the studs have 2 or 4 prongs on the back or is it a single post? Breezie

It is not magnetic. Studs are hollow with 2 prongs for securing to the leather. A fellow hunter mentioned World War II era? Thanks, I can't believe how helpful the feedback has been on this and other items. So glad I found this forum!
 
Upvote 0
kyphote said:
Breezie said:
It looks like part of the belt portion of a 1950's cap gun HOLSTER to me. Does a magnet stick to the studs? If so, they are nickel, and 90% of the studs on these 50's holsters were nickel. Also, do the studs have 2 or 4 prongs on the back or is it a single post? Breezie

It is not magnetic. Studs are hollow with 2 prongs for securing to the leather. A fellow hunter mentioned World War II era? Thanks, I can't believe how helpful the feedback has been on this and other items. So glad I found this forum!

Since the studs are hollow with 2 prongs, I believe it is from a leather toy 'belt' from a '50s cap gun holster or a studded 'biker' type belt. If it were authentic military, the studs would be attached more securely with a post & cap instead of a simple 2 or 4 prong 'bend over.' WELCOME to the forum! Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Are you sure the width is 8in and not the length?8in wide would not be a holster belt.It would lean towards a harness.Whats the stud diameter?
 
Upvote 0
I located the same thing at a circa 1860 site. Posted it and some members thought it to be a dog collar. Sounded right. Mine was around 12 inches deep and could have been a buried animal. Just a thought. :thumbsup: jgas
 
Upvote 0
warsawdaddy said:
Are you sure the width is 8in and not the length?8in wide would not be a holster belt.It would lean towards a harness.Whats the stud diameter?

Good point, it's the LENGTH that's 8 inches long, not the width--and that length only applies to the section I found. Who knows how long it could have been. The studs are smaller than a dime and I, too, thought dog collar at first, but I don't feel like dog collars were studded back then. Could be wrong. There was a lot of horse activity out there at one point (no biker activity! lol), and I was thinking part of a harness? Found a lot of old horseshoes throughout the property. Thanks again.
 
Upvote 0
jgas said:
I located the same thing at a circa 1860 site. Posted it and some members thought it to be a dog collar. Sounded right. Mine was around 12 inches deep and could have been a buried animal. Just a thought. :thumbsup: jgas
Were there dog bones around the collar? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
If I recall right Breezie, the ground was very soft and ash like. Not like the surrounding ground. Strange huh? But who knows, could have been me freaking out because I have dug up dog burial grounds before. In coffee cans...Yikes. jgas
 
Upvote 0
jgas said:
If I recall right Breezie, the ground was very soft and ash like. Not like the surrounding ground. Strange huh? But who knows, could have been me freaking out because I have dug up dog burial grounds before. In coffee cans...Yikes. jgas

The last dog I dug up at a dog burial ground returned to life and attacked my family.
 
Upvote 0
kyphote said:
The last dog I dug up at a dog burial ground returned to life and attacked my family.
Yea I hate when that happens. :wink:


Could you post a close up pic of the backside prongs of these rivets?
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
kyphote said:
The last dog I dug up at a dog burial ground returned to life and attacked my family.
Yea I hate when that happens. :wink:


Could you post a close up pic of the backside prongs of these rivets?

Backside showing prongs...
 

Attachments

  • studback.webp
    studback.webp
    10 KB · Views: 226
Upvote 0
After seeing the stud prongs, I'm still going with non-military, and sticking with a 'biker' type belt/strap, or dog collar, or cap gun holster belt. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
After seeing the stud prongs, I'm still going with non-military, and sticking with a 'biker' type belt/strap, or dog collar, or cap gun holster belt. Breezie

Thanks, Breezie. I'm partial to your dog collar theory and am just now leaving my state of denial. :o
 
Upvote 0
Here's the one I found. I think...I hope the pics show up here. jgas
 

Attachments

  • buttons 1.webp
    buttons 1.webp
    3.2 KB · Views: 176
  • buttons 2.webp
    buttons 2.webp
    2.6 KB · Views: 166
  • buttons 3.webp
    buttons 3.webp
    3 KB · Views: 169
  • buttons 4.webp
    buttons 4.webp
    2.2 KB · Views: 169
  • buttons 2.webp
    buttons 2.webp
    2.6 KB · Views: 175
  • buttons 1.webp
    buttons 1.webp
    3.2 KB · Views: 175
  • buttons 3.webp
    buttons 3.webp
    3 KB · Views: 171
  • buttons 4.webp
    buttons 4.webp
    2.2 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0
jgas said:
Here's the one I found. I think...I hope the pics show up here. jgas

Wow, very similar. I should have added that a friend discovered an identical strap a half-mile away on my property. In my mind, this would rule a lot of things out including the dog collar. Just occurred to me. :sign13:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
This type of hollow rivet is decorative, not functional.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,8486.0/topicseen.html headstall.webp

I've been a big follower of the Boe thread. For mine, however, I'm just not convinced that two dogs 1/2 mile apart would have lost the same collars. For this reason, I'm inclined to rule out the collar theory. I do know there was plenty of old horse traffic in the area as evidenced by all the dug horseshoes, so I'm leaning now toward a decorative headstall such as the repro shown here:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom