Stuff For Brains

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I need to vent ...We had a family outing at the beach today (Florida) . The beach was packed with hundreds of people since the weather was perfect. I glance up and see a guy metal detecting (with an expensive unit) between the sunbathers with a full size shovel . ( now keep in mind that this is not some isolated beach ) I went up to him and asked him why the shovel ? Tried to explain a sand scoop does not leave the visual impression of someone tearing up beaches like the sight of someone with a full size shovel would . He looks at me with a blank stare and tells me he covers his holes whenever he goes to the PARK (park ???) or PUBLIC BEACH with his shovel . Tried again to explain that even if he does cover his holes there is the danger of MD'ers getting the blame for a hole that maybe some kids left uncovered resulting in someone complaining that detecting is to blame and ban detecting period.. another blank look . Bottom line folks try to keep a low profile when detecting and try to leave a good impression for the sake of the hobby . That guy had stuff for brains..​

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about when your working a straight line in the water and the person looks right at you and keeps cutting across until you have to stop to keep from running into them...or your digging a target and the current moves them right on top of you and they look at you like you got on them...but most of the time people are nice and curious.

I never really have people issues in the water, most are nice, pleasant. But you hit the nail on the head over here, that current and surf can move them 15 feet and right into your lap at the blink of an eye. That's probably the biggest issue I face, it's not that I'm there but rather I'm always concerned about the scoop making accidental bloody contact with someone on account of that current and surf. Most tourist just have no idea how powerful that wall of water can be.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Herb, but after I told you I filled in my own holes and after you persisted, I would have told you to mind your own business and F off. You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Perhaps you should have given him your sand scoop if it was that big a deal to you.

I have been hunting beaches for about 25 years now and only seen someone with a full size shovel a couple times and never on a crowded beach. I have never seen someone with a full size shovel metal detecting in a park. Herb was worried about "the visual impression of someone tearing up beaches" as we all should be. Someone new to the hobby may not understand that. All it takes is one person to complain to the mayor or govoner and there might be signs posted there next week. It's like someone riding a motorcycle on a bike path and not understanding why someone would have a problem with that. SMH

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt on the beach when there are people. I keep a distance of like 15 feet away from blankets . No one seems to mind. A lot of them like watching you. Whenever I find anything, a penny, a ring or just trash, I always conceal it and put it in my pouch like I just found the hope diamond.

Ditto:key:

Except: I keep a distance of approximately 15 feet away from where people are doing their thing in the sand as well as the towels/mats they lay down on.

If the recovered item is off value, I conceal it as inconspicuously as I can.
If the recovered item is trash, I want those watching to see that it is trash, especially if it is a sharpie, and that I am hauling it off so that others do not get hurt.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect the problems at the beach are the same as the problems in the rest of the country, no respect for self or others and it seems to be growing. Then there is the gimme crowd, the ones that want everything a working person has but does not want to work for it. Some folks are just down on their luck and just need help and then they get back to working and then they can offer help to others. The folks that lost their homes got caught on the wrong side of the pyramid scheme and then the government paid the banks for the mess they made. Lets see, the government gets its money from taxes and the money for taxes comes from those who work and ..........but I digress. Beaches are fun to go to. Better luck next time you are there!..............63bkpkr

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr: Rather than digressing, I believe that you are on target as this is a Societal problem as well as one of usage. If the beaches are to remain public, all those who use the beach need to be aware of how their actions are perceived by others. As all beach users are judged by their action(s): causing damage, being lewd, obnoxious, drunken, not carrying your trash out is unacceptable:
- Sunbather's have no special right(s) . If they bring their children, those children have to be supervised to prevent drowning. There is no reason other than laziness for the responsible parent(s) not filling in the hole(s) they or their children have dug before they leave. Further at minimum:
- Surfers have to especially careful not to hit anyone or run over them with their big stick(s).
- Fishermen and women, need to be careful with their sharp hook(s) and monofilament line.
- Kite surfers add a new hazard and dimension as one can now be clunked from the heaven(s)
- Diver's have to use care with their spear guns.
- Metal detectorists, mostly get it, but there are rogue hunters who just don't care and need to be dealt with.

Last edited:

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your always going to have morons.....no way around it. Its the reason your car insurance is so high and why we need so many cops. 25% (or higher) of society are oxygen thiefs.

recoiljunky

Jun 10, 2007
Dothan, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Excal II
I have been hunting beaches for about 25 years now and only seen someone with a full size shovel a couple times and never on a crowded beach. I have never seen someone with a full size shovel metal detecting in a park. Herb was worried about "the visual impression of someone tearing up beaches" as we all should be. Someone new to the hobby may not understand that. All it takes is one person to complain to the mayor or govoner and there might be signs posted there next week. It's like someone riding a motorcycle on a bike path and not understanding why someone would have a problem with that. SMH

I understand that, but they guy said he was filling in his holes. Maybe he wants a new Nuttall scoop but can't spend the coin quite yet, maybe he is getting by with what he has. Maybe he doesn't hit the beach enough to justify the price of a scoop. Maybe he can't pinpoint worth a crap and prefers a full size shovel.

What if he went up to the OP and said, "Hey, you really shouldn't metal detect with those dark sunglasses on, you look like a perv. That gives us all a bad rep."

I prefer a live and let live approach. If what you're doing is not stepping on my toes, carry on. There are too many people in this world trying to get in other peoples business in my opinion.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply put, being polite, filling our holes and returning an occasional ring is nice but ineffective. We need to take a more proactive stance, which includes lobbying for our rights. As the pressure to restrict public access to the beach and it's usage is focused and relentless.

When you look at the large sand-replacement programs which typically cost millions of dollars paid for by local, state, and federal programs being spread state wide or country wide among those who derive little to no benefit for the benefit of a few dozen beachfront homeowners and gated communities. You will see that little has changed from the days of the Pharaohs. Almost all of us live in the valley of the servants/slaves for the benefit of the privileged few.

To add insult to injury, it is these same beach front property owners, gated communities and hotels/resorts supported by the taxes we pay which are trying to inhibit our access to the beach and usage.

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about when your working a straight line in the water and the person looks right at you and keeps cutting across until you have to stop to keep from running into them...or your digging a target and the current moves them right on top of you and they look at you like you got on them...but most of the time people are nice and curious.

I love those self important butt heads. As if their azimuth is the only one in the world that counts. I often want to say..."You're paying $10,000 a week plus to run down the beach like you own it, but I live here d!*K head!" Especially when they have the water belt rig. That just drives me crazy. I spent 23 years in the Army running almost every morning and we never had little water belts.

Those who infringe on other's rights and feel that it is their right to do so are the first ones to scream injustice when someone else makes them uncomfortable.

I hate the @$$ excavations!

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What the heck is acwater belt rog ?? Im so confused- a swimmer or what ??

As soon as i have the energy i will fully respond to this thread as i have been at the beach my whole life and hunt 95% of the time with a shovel .. Detecting off and on since 1974 and never one single problem with a soul and all positive experiences with the inquiring public ..

Give a coin to a nosey kid with parent by their side and you want to talj about good will, well it gies along way .. Those kids will probably be the diggers of the future and never forget that amazing coin they saw dug from the sand .. Purate of the future !!

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Good thread Herb, dialog is always good and if you can convince one person "perception is reality" for most folks, you've succeeded. Folks who do not detect or do not understand what we do could become distraught at the sight of an adult with a shovel working his way through sun bathers. Trying to save our hobby, at least at this beach, is the right thing to do. It did not sound like Herb went up to the guy like he was Billy Bad a$$, he approached him and tried to teach him something. None of us know everything until we are taught or we learn through experience. If the guy could not afford a scoop, why not say so, maybe Herb would have said, I have one in the car you can use while you here. Unless you are a mouth breather/oxygen thief, you would respect someone trying to impart some knowledge to you, especially when you are in his neck of the woods.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The issue is that this individual was treasure hunting too close to others enjoying the beach.
I find it hard to believe that a shovel would look less intimidating to someone who knew nothing about metal detecting than a stand up water scoop, which looks more like an Medieval weapon.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The issue is that this individual was treasure hunting too close to others enjoying the beach.
I find it hard to believe that a shovel would look less intimidating to someone who knew nothing about metal detecting than a stand up water scoop, which looks more like an Medieval weapon.
What if they were enjoying the beach too close to his treasure hunting? :dontknow: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread