Such a coin? 2000 South Carolina State Silver Quarter with D mintmark?

A

ashton9

I pulled a 2000 South Carolina state quarter out of circulation today. It caught my eye because there is no clad mark on the edge (reed?) and I believe it is silver. I looked the coin up for value but found that the silver quarters have a S mintmark and the quarter I found is marked D. I can't find anywhere to buy a silver D coin. I don't know anything about Proof coins. Is there a clad mark on a Proof grade coin's edge? The Quarter is very shiny and new looking. What did I find? Thanks

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
The only state qtrs that are silver are S mint proofs. The clad sandwich may not be as wide as normal, but all D mints are clad. Post a picture if you can, I have seen some D's very shiny.
HH
Greg

OP
OP
A

ashton9

This quarter has no clad ring around the edge! It is very shiny without any frosting. The quarter looks like someone mistakenly spent an uncirculated coin or maybe proof. Has anybody heard of counterfeit state quarters or mistakes at the mint? I do not have a scale that measure grams, but my postal scale measures this quarter at .20 ounces like other state quarters. I assume the less people reply with answers to these questions, the more of a chance this quarter is unique. I have no idea who to go to to verify what this coin is.

Ironically I'm being sued by my Adult daughter for college support right now and the whole issue is literally making my wife sick on how we will get by. I keep telling my wife we will find a way and trust in god. I do not want to get my wife's hope up, but if the quarter is unique I will drop to my knees and say halaluya! Then my wife might be a true believer and I can show others the way. Either way on this quarter, I will still believe god's path for me. I just felt like making a sermon, wheather you hear it or not. Thanks

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, I have seen "CLAD" quarters many times, that the Clad could not be seen.

it's such a minor error, I don't think it can actually be considered an Error.

what it comes out to is the coins are cut from sheets & depending on the part of the sheet it was cut from this is how it comes out.

OP
OP
A

ashton9

During my investigation of this, all internet web info says if clad, then there will be a clad line somewhere on the edge of a US coin. There is no clad line. This quarter's edge is silver like a
Canadian quarter, which is not silver. Is it a counterfeit made from a white metal?

OP
OP
A

ashton9

Update, I took the quarter to a coin dealer and they believe somebody plated the coin. The Denver mint does not deal with silver so the chances that a silver planchet got mixed in is unlikely. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread