Summer Prospecting - Extreme Heat Survival Tactics

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
I can tell you a couple of things that you don't want to do !!!!
# 1....Don't go out into the desert with, a hat that has less than a 2-3" wide brim (ventilated)
# 2....Don't " , a short sleeve shirt on ..use a long sleeve, white cotton or !!!

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I was thinking about getting an arabic keffiyeh, :icon_farao: but I'd probably get shot at. ::) Last time I was out when it was really hot, I brought a small white towel with me and draped it over the back of my neck under my hat, it worked very well, and I also had enough of it hanging so I could use it to wipe the sweat from my forehead if I needed to.

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
That that's kind of cool, I'm not sure covering your face would work unless you were caught in a sand storm. I went out today and I took along a pair of long pants in case I needed them. It was hot, and I figured if I put some ice cubes in them and rolled them up, they would be cool and wet. I was climbing Sugarloaf Mountain, and I never needed them, but I used them another way. When I got to the top, I had sweat getting into my eyes, so I took them and unrolled them and cooled and cleaned my face. It worked very well, because once you start getting sweat in your eyes, it usually keeps getting worse, but that stopped it, and cooled me off too.
That gives me an idea, that perhaps you could take a large towel and use it for keeping yourself cool by wrapping ice cubes in it and putting it on your back or wrapping it on your head. I don't get overheated easily, so I'd probably just wrap some ice in a towel and throw it in my backpack for when I wanted to cool off some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread