Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to say South Dakota but not that easy to dredge or highbank. I would suggest Colorado. You could make it in a day with more than one driver driving straight through. Have fun.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks B H that's kinda what we're leaning towards but still wondering about Montana.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you say......

ROAD TRIP!!!!!

I have to agree with BH. You should head out to Colorado. Not much dredging or highbanking here in AZ unless you're on a recirc system

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And we'd love to have you here in CO! ...where we still welcome dredgers! (Well, most places anyway)

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any certain area's Kevin? I was looking at the mining guide and at chaffe county but it doesn't say if you can dredge or not

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
any certain area's Kevin? I was looking at the mining guide and at chaffe county but it doesn't say if you can dredge or not
well, I'm not a regular dredger so I'm not the best source. The key place where dredges are not allowed is on sections of the Arkansas River...unless you get a permit. The GPAA chose not to file the paperwork to allow dredging on their Colorado claims. Then again, the GPAA claims in CO do not have a great reputation...but since I'm not a member, others may have more insight. If you are a member, you could also reach out to the local GPAA clubs such as Foothills Prospectors or High Plains Prospectors to ask advice and maybe meet up with locals.

Quite a bit of river/creek in CO is claimed so it would be wise to do the usual research into existing claims for waterways on federally managed lands. The local national forest or BLM offices are worth a visit too. You can still find gold on unclaimed waterways if you put in some research I'd say. Also remember that a lot of claim owners will let you prospect if you just ask!

You CAN dredge without any concerns about claims or permits in much of Clear Creek Canyon just west of Golden (west edge of metroDenver). To see the info on this, including maps, google Jefferson County Open Space and look on their web site for Clear Creek Canyon.

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting