Sun Ray Probe Question

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

When using the Sun Ray X-1 probe for a Minelab Explorer Series product; what air depth would you expect for a clad quarter? I’m realizing a distance of about 2 ¼ inch initial hit and at 2 inches the tone I would expect from that denomination. Do people find the probe to have slightly more depth when the coin is in the ground?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,

Doc

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Doc, depth for a quarter would be 3". It seems to make no difference @ air versus ground.

Sometimes when in the ground, I get a slight null or flutter, that ..... even though not the "quarter" sound, will tell me which direction to remove more dirt from. Then yes: when you get within 3" of the target, the TID tone will ring in correctly enough :)

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professor, I hope to know soon.
As Sunray probes are no longer available for ETracs, I'm hoping a person will sell me his.
But, from the videos I view and posts I read, 2.5-3ins is standard air testing.
Depth in ground will most likely be as other pinpointers?
It's the multi toned, vdi I'd like to try.
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Professor, I hope to know soon.
As Sunray probes are no longer available for ETracs, I'm hoping a person will sell me his.
But, from the videos I view and posts I read, 2.5-3ins is standard air testing.
Depth in ground will most likely be as other pinpointers?
It's the multi toned, vdi I'd like to try.
GL
Peace ✌

Hello CincinnatiKid,

I do enjoy the sweet tones through the headphones, as a bonus there is no sound to attract attention.

Hope you get your probe soon!

Regards,

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doc, depth for a quarter would be 3". It seems to make no difference @ air versus ground.

Sometimes when in the ground, I get a slight null or flutter, that ..... even though not the "quarter" sound, will tell me which direction to remove more dirt from. Then yes: when you get within 3" of the target, the TID tone will ring in correctly enough :)

Hello Tom in CA,

You are getting 3 inches on the quarter my depth is only 2 inches (with correct-sweet tone), wonder if I should send it in for check-up or tuning?

Regards,

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Everyone,

When using the Sun Ray X-1 probe for a Minelab Explorer Series product; what air depth would you expect for a clad quarter? I’m realizing a distance of about 2 ¼ inch initial hit and at 2 inches the tone I would expect from that denomination. Do people find the probe to have slightly more depth when the coin is in the ground?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,

Doc

Doc,

I use a DX1,I never look at my VDI while probing,I listen for a tone. One word of caution..never put any pressure on the strain relief,hold that probe and poke.I learned the hard way to the tune of 110$.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had one the SE the wiring went for a crap, had it repaired, now the other day I was detecting with the Etrac and sure enough I started to hear the tell tale sign of falsing on dirt, so the wiring sheathing is shot in this one also. So I took it off and put the original upper shaft back in. I really like the sounds, and depth, but undecided on where to sent it back to get repaired.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had one the SE the wiring went for a crap, had it repaired, now the other day I was detecting with the Etrac and sure enough I started to hear the tell tale sign of falsing on dirt, so the wiring sheathing is shot in this one also. So I took it off and put the original upper shaft back in. I really like the sounds, and depth, but undecided on where to sent it back to get repaired.

You ou will need to contact Sunray directly and talk to Ralph about where to send it for repairs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread