Sun Stones

GabbyGEP

Mar 30, 2005
Platteville, Colorado
Orygun

I have never collected in Oregon, but here is a website that might be of some use to you:
http://www.oregongeology.com/quarpub/sunstones2.htm
Sunstones sound like they might be quite elusive. If you have a specific area in mind to go hunting, you might look for a rock shop in the area. They are usually very aware of the current state of rockhounding in their own area. I wish I could be of more help to you. Good luck and I hope you and your family are able to collect a bucketful of sunstones.
GabbyGEP

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Orygun

Orygun

Feb 21, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Technetics T2 Classic
I found a whole pile of the littel yeller fellers. I will try and post some photographs tomorrow. It is incredible out there, more gems than I could have imagined. Most are small, comparable to maybe grains of rice but stones the size of beans are found easily by just walking around looking at the ground. I also used a screen I made and found a dandy redish stone that was a little bit bigger than a bean. I needed a smaller screen that was apparent, but I had what I made and it was an incredible day. I also got a couple photo's of some petroglyph's that I will try and get posted later.

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you all had a great time! Can't wait to see the pictures of the stones! ..... From what I have read on the net....you guys have lots of petroglyph's out there....can't wait to see them either! :o

Nana ;)

Upvote 0
F

fatdad

Don't know what part of the state your in but I did some research and take a look at the dust devil mine. It is a pay dig. They give you a place to dig and show you how. You pay a percentage of the market value depending on the stones you find. If you go to the net it will give you all the details.

Upvote 0

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
they are found in the plush oregon area...there are a couple of pay sites like they mentioned above, but you should be able to find a few out in the hills around there......since you are out that way another place to go would be virgin valley nv....off of hwy 140....pay sites out there but you dig all kinds of opalized wood, pine cones and fire opals......glass butt just north of plush is a killer spot to dig obsidian, lots and lots right on top of the ground.
hope that helps.
lgp

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread