Sunday evening hunt in a ghost town.

Colorado Kidd

Feb 19, 2007
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a pro, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Hi everyone,

I just registered yesterday. I've been reading all of your great posts for a while. I sure have learned a lot on this site. I've been detecting about 2 years. I've found some pretty good stuff so far. I took my 3 kids down to a little town near us that was a boom town in the 1880's. There were 30,000 people in and around the town then. It died out around 1900. Now there are around 100 people and most of the old downtown area is torn down. I first went hunting there in the fall of 2006. There is a park there that the kids like to go to. While they were playing I walked over to a vacant lot on the main street right next to the park. I started finding some great shards of blown glass bottles. Got out my steel probe and located a privy pit. I asked a neighbor who owned the lot and he said "See that house right over there, that's the mayor, go ask him. He turned out to be a great guy and secured permission to dig from the owner. We found Some neat old embossed medicines and pop bottles from around 1890's through about 1920. My oldest daughter found a 1893 Barber quarter in the dirt pile from the privy. That really made her and our day.

We finally made it back there Sunday evening with the detector. The kids really like to run the pinpointer. They had a blast. We started finding some older memorial cents and then I saw silver in the next hole. My youngest daughter got all excited because I got really excited. I let her do the honors.

mercinhand2.jpg

mercinhand.jpg

It was a 1942 Mercury dime in great shape. One of my favorite coins!

Well it was starting to get dark so we headed out. I stopped on the way out of town by the lot where we dug the privy and tried along the sidewalk. The building is long gone. My first signal was a 1900 Barber dime. I couldn't believe it.

sidewalk.jpg

After that I found some old screw bottle tops and It got too dark to see. Needless to say we will be back there again soon. Here's a pic of the two Silver coins.

merc&barb.jpg

Thanks for looking and thanks for all of the great posts that have kept me glued to the computer screen over the Winter.

That picture of your young daughter smiling and showing off that coin is priceless.

Happy Hunting
George

She works for Barbie dolls and chocolate bars. If you don't have a couple of diggers I highly recommend you get some. I mark em and they dig em. It's a very efficient way to hunt. They havn't scratched one yet!

What a doll! I've got a grandaughter in Grand Junction, CO. She comes to CA in the summer. I took her detecting once and she was attacked by some nesting geese. She doesn't get too excited when I bring up detecting. ???

I love the digger idea!  Just wait till my grandkids come again - I think I will put them to work - - I mean play!

Great post and pics. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you found the right combination of site and digging partner. 8) Good luck and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back