What's new

Sunday here in Va,, No hunting...(state law)

Dave44

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2006
Messages
4,874
Reaction score
2,212
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it just finished raining about an inch and a half! Out of the woods 3 deer came out ,, 8 point, 9 point and a doe.

I swear they know when hunting season is over and the days of the week?
 
They can sense when theyre being stalked,hunted.
 
All animals have it,humans do too.though some are born prey and no longer recognize the ability.Its suppressed if you will.
 
All animals have it,humans do too.though some are born prey and no longer recognize the ability.Its suppressed if you will.
Definitely a ring of truth there! Ever gone hunting and have an old monster buck give you a J hook when he is being folowed? They are very aware of the situation. Others just walk right out and wonder what you are hungry for today.
 
I had a strange experience back when I was 15.Me and my sisters were staying for a week at my brothers house.Theres was a rash of break ins going on at the time.Everybody was asleep and I woke up sensing somebody was in the room with me,very creepy.I pretended to be asleep though i kept my eyes open a little,I could swear somebody was in the room with me.finally it got so bad I jumped up and turned the light on,nothing there.I went back to bed still freaked out.The next morning when everybody got up,we found the screen door latch and spring was taken apart.somebody tried to break in during the night.My brothers doberman didnt hear a thing.
 
We have about a week left here. I saw about 18 yesterday in a light rain. I am still drying gear.
 
I had a strange experience back when I was 15.Me and my sisters were staying for a week at my brothers house.Theres was a rash of break ins going on at the time.Everybody was asleep and I woke up sensing somebody was in the room with me,very creepy.I pretended to be asleep though i kept my eyes open a little,I could swear somebody was in the room with me.finally it got so bad I jumped up and turned the light on,nothing there.I went back to bed still freaked out.The next morning when everybody got up,we found the screen door latch and spring was taken apart.somebody tried to break in during the night.My brothers doberman didnt hear a thing.



That's really scary!
 
It was digger,when it was happening it scared the hell out of me.
 
Seasons are all over here, and winter is setting in with a vengeance.....Tad of a break today with temps. in the mid 30's, than snow and sub 0 for the rest of the week......New Years wishes to all of you.......Gary
 
I used to have relatives in Virginia. My Mother was born there. I had a Great Aunt who had a small dairy herd with a little milking barn / parlor and a little feed lot. Ever year ...Opening Day Of Hunting Season the deer would come down off the knob and mix with the dairy herd. The Deer would stay for days until the gunfire died down a few days later. Grayson County Virgina along The New River near Independence on U.S. 58
 
I once had a job as a technician in the Psychology department of a university. The Experimental Psych course would introduce students to the Skinner Box and positive and negative learning reinforcement in rats. My job was to make sure the rats were on hand on schedule, survive the semester, and then I had to dispatch them at the end of the semester.

It was one part of my job I really, really hated.

I would put all the rats (like 30 of them) in a carrier and take them to a secluded lab and lock the door. We had a small surgical steel guillotine made to cleanly sever a rat's head. That was supposed to be a humane way of rat euthanasia. While in the cage, the rats were their usual selves, frolicking, climbing over each other and in a generally good mood.

I'd put the cage in a corner, take one rat at a time, push her little body into the chute so her head protruded out the hole and quickly pull the lever.

Chomp!

The head fell into the sink and the twitching body was summarily tossed into a trash bag.

No muss, no fuss. No noise. But I can tell you the truth...As soon as that first rat's head got chopped off, all the other rats in that cage just freaked out. There was panic in that cage.

Don't understand it, never will. But my wife will still attest to the fact that on those days when I came home from work, she could see it on me. "Had to kill the rats again, huh?"
 
One of the State Parks in the Texas hill country closes one day each year to host a boys club deer hunt. We drove by the park during one of the hunts and saw at least a half dozen deer standing just outside the entrance of the park, near the highway. Somehow they knew that leaving the park grounds by just a few yards would make them safe (even though they were safe inside the park the other 364 days each year). Damndest thing I ever saw.
 
Last edited:
Animals are a lot smarter (at lest most, not my son's dog) than people give them credit for. Their senses are sharper, and I swear they understand human speech if not thoughts, maybe it's the facial expressions. They just pay more attention, they're lives depend on it.
Then again how do we humans "know" something out of the blue, with out being told.
Something to ponder.
 
Its just the same with all animals.The hunted.When lions are on the hunt,the prey know it.The prey can tell when the lions are out to kill.Also when theyre not,lions just walking by the prey and it doesnt make the prey animals look twice at them.Senses,or ingrained instinct,probably both.
 
While I was working as a Psychology technician at the university I referred to earlier, I supported research for all the faculty in the department. One of the faculty was an eccentric Soviet KGB defector named Nikolai Khokhlov. He was a true believer in the things that were outlined in the movie "The Men Who Stare at Goats" and did a lot of research in parapsychology.
His lab was full of Russian scientific journals that no one else in the department could read or understand so we all took his word for the "science" he was doing. Hell, he was tenured...
He once told me of a study they did with gold fish.They raised a big batch in a tank, all together.
Then they took half of them out to another room and dumped them into a blender.
Totally out of earshot.
They filmed the rest of them in the tank and time-synced the film to the point where they turned on the blender.
At that very instant, total freak out of the remaining fish.
Dr. Khokhlov was always looked on as a "strange egg" in the department for what he was pursuing, but I think he was sincere in his explorations.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom