Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday's finds and a short hunt today...

Rained most of Sunday afternoon, better than snow and I finally had to admit, it was going to be a wet hunt. So I got geared up and headed to the field hoping to find the other piece of the sword buckle. When I arrived at the field, it stopped raining and I enjoyed about 2 hours then it started raining again. The holes filled faster with water today but I can’t complain as it should be frozen solid now. This field is about 200 meters from the original town of 1008-1250 and there was a farm there even closer lasting into the 1400s. The field is on a gradual hill and at the bottom it was flooded with several inches of water. I watched a car drive up and park, a woman got out, changed into rubber boots, headed my direction through the water and up the hill, I knew it was not the owner and just thought, this should be a good one, LOL! Turns out that she is an avid fossil and mineral collector and was curious how a metal detector worked. She followed me around and watched me dig foil and junk for about 15 minutes then I finally found the nasty button in the picture below. I asked her if she would like to try the detector but it was very muddy by then and she declined. She asked about buying a detector so I recommended a Garret Ace 250. We had a nice chit chat. Here are the finds. I did not find the other piece of the sword buckle. An aluminum seal from Denmark, a button and a lead seal.
11Feb07seals.jpg

Two small buckles, top buckle looks really old and is made that way, not broken. A small link that I’m sure is silver, no markings and is small and a religious pendant with the likeness of Joseph and Marie, Marie on the reverse.
11Feb07buckles.jpg

Six coins, date side up. 1921, 1924, 1925, 1931, 1930, 1935.
11Feb07Coinsdate.jpg

Opposite side of the coins.
11Feb07Coinsoppo.jpg

And my favorite find of the day, an intact jingle bell that still has the ringer inside. It was in a hole with a nail about 8” down, hit both signals within a few inches apart using a 7.5Khz, 10.5”, DD coil on the XT70 and both targets came up. A strange thing about the bell, it had no dirt inside and was hollow when dug and this hole did not fill with water. Anyone no how far back do these types of bells date to? There are no numbers or hallmarks on it and it has a whitish patina over a green patina, that is another strange thing about it. Also was out this evening for about 45 minutes between rain, found two coins in poor condition on a grass field, they date around 1850ish and late 1800s. HH, Mike
11Feb07slbell.jpg

Upvote 0
Re: Sunday's finds and a short hunt today...

Your bell is a rumbler also known as a crotal bell age about 17th-18th century,
I have found a few, they're fairly common here.

dave.

Nice old finds, Fossis...................

BM,

again nice finds.

Wish I could find a dwelling place from 1008-1250
here in Illinois ;) ;D

have a good un..........................

nice finds mike i found 1 of those bells that kenb and i were able to date to the 1820's I believe the more ornate the bell the older as they were most likely hand crafted good luck and hh

dylan

Nice job Mike...Can't wait for the "archie dig"......HH!!

GREAT coins AND relics, Mike!

Congrats! Nana :)

Thanks for the nice comments and ID help on the crotal bell, possibly 400 years old, what a ringer. Is there a difference between a jingle bell and a croatal bell? Like, same thing only different , LOL? Jingle bells are probably newer as they sometimes have numbers on them. HH, Mike

Very Nice finds!

HH
-GC

Hi mike great finds as usual and congrts :o :o :o

t,p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back