Surf Detector Questions

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live on the east coast of the US and I want to purchase a surf detector before August (going on vacation). I'm looking to spend around $500 and was looking for some suggestions on makes and models. I'm a little flexible on the price so if there is a real stand out model for a little more money please let me know. Currently I'm leaning towards the Beach Hunter ID by Whites but that is because I love my DFX.

Background: I currently have a Fisher X-1280 which works great on dry sand but when you get by the water it gives off a bunch of false signals. I actually found two gold and one silver ring with it last time I had it out but I really want to go into the surf. If anyone has this model and is willing to share any tips on how to work it in salt water please let me know. I like the machine and it would save me some $$$.

Thanks in advance for your input.
NJ

Upvote 0

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Tough to find one for 500 unless its used. I would suggest the White's Surf PI for salt water. Doesn't false and gets great depth.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tony...I'll check it out.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PI machines are great for finding deep older finds but if the beach you are going to go to is currently used get, a TR machine with discrimination and maybe ID, like a Minelab Excalibur 1000. Most guys I know with PI machines, here on popular DE and MD beaches wish they would have not gotten a PI, they were tired of digging deep trash.

Ed D.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I have a whites DFX, surfmaster pi (surfpro pi), and an excal 1000. All three to different things, but after getting my first excal about 2 years ago, my pi machine tended to spend a lot more time in the closet. I took my pi machine when i would go on vacation to the carribean because it was a little easier to transport and strap to the outside of my pack, and on some remote beach, I am willing to dig absolutely everything. But for the normal beach hunting I do, in congested areas, I prefer the excal. It has a larger coil, covers more ground, and I can usually (not always) discriminate out the junk. I still tend to dig most of my hits however.

I got tired of digging 18" deep holes with my pi machine only to find a bobby pin or a nail.

steve

ps. My latest excalibur I picked up on ebay for $525 (with shipping). then I sent it to minelab in Vegas for a quick checkup (15 in shipping). They did a full diagnostic, and replaced my stock rechargeable battery for free.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Spez, I'm going to be in Florida,during spring break,can you give me any suggestions,using my Excalibur 1000 from cocoa Beach's beach Miami,I'm looking on the setting's for the machine,on how to set it and leave it,or any thing that you can suggest that will help me out,my last vacation,i had purchased a time ranger,and was soooo disappointed,Thanks Ronald99 ::)

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you love the DFX.....go for the Beach Hunter ID.

I HAVE BEEN USING ONE FOR YEARS ITS GREAT!!! PLUS NO ONE CAN COMPETE WITH WHITES SERVICE!!I GET GREAT DEPTH AND SMALL GOLD TOO!! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CHOICE...HOPE TO SEE YOUR BEACH LOOT!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spez is right about all he said about the PI detectors. I mainly use the Excal 1000 as do many hunters because of the ability to find a gold ring under a piece of iron unlike a VLF that will null out the iron an you'll never know a ring was there too. It's good on finding earring backs and studs too. Rechargeable batteries round out a fine detector that has discrimination. Double D coil that covers a large footprint per sweep equals more finds per hour.

The Whites Beach Hunter ID is a nice detector too and lots cheaper than an EXCAL 1000.

The 1280 has trouble in most wet sand near the waves because it is so sensitive. It's a combination of the black sand and saltwater that mess it up. In some places now, others report no trouble in near the waves. It has no saltwater mode like it's big brother the CZ-20. But Fisher is now not repairing any CZ-20's.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everyone, the feedback is great. I'm going to read up on both the Whites Beach Hunter ID and the Minelab Excalibur 1000. When I was single I would just go out and buy the Minelab but now with the wife and kids I have to think about price. Thanks again and if anyone wants to add more comment please do so since I will not be buying anything for another month or two.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
ron..
I live in RI and have never hit the florida beaches... so the settings may be a little different... but here's how i run my machine
1 - volume 3/4 to full
2 - threshold so you can barely hear it
3 - discrimination (not pinpoint mode), and set close to minimum
4 - sensitivity just off auto

steve

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Thanks spez,i have heard people also say they hunt in pinpoint mode with the Excalibur 1000 can anyone update me on this hunting Florida beach,will it hurt the detector,does it improve the detecting in pinpoint mode,I know Sandman is no stranger to detecting the beach,So Sandman please help me out.Ronald99 ???

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronald, the pinpoint mode on the Excal is more like a all metal except I find it not the best to use in all locations due to mineralization and the detector will talk to you in little chirps. But it is only saying sweet nothings as nothing is there. It does not hurt the detector to run it in pinpoint. The beeps aren't repeatable. It is normally at it's most sensitive and deepest at the settings Spez gave with the Sensitivity just off Auto. But you may have to experiment and maybe lower it some.

In Clive James Clynick's new book for 2007 on the Excalibur, he recommends running the threshold up a little higher from the threshold setting. I've tried this, but the buzz in my ears drives me crazy. I am already pretty far gone and don't need any help.

If you haven't visited the site, thegoldenolde.com/ you should for more knowledge. Also look for Max and Neilo's posts on the Excals in this forum.

Good Luck,
Sandman

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Thank's Sandman,I'm going to be in Florida in a couple week's during spring break,and finally get a chance to use my Excalibur,I also have the Minelab SE, My nephew will be with me,and I'm thinking about buying another Excalibur 1000,I'm kinda scared about messing up the SE,near the water,Sandman would you bring the SE on the beach,if so how do you think it would compare against the Excalibur. An also near where they recovered Spanish coins,I have the Minelab SD2200V2,would this detector look deeper for the Spanish coins,or would i just be better off with the Excalibur,Again thank's Sandman. Ronald99 ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread