Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are going to have to take that to a geologist. My advice is to call your local college or university and talk with someone in the geology department. It looks good, but there are also doubts. WE CANNOT TELL YOU FOR SURE! Have it examined. :occasion14:

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Terry said, it has possibilities and needs an expert to look at it in person and do some tests on it, where was this found, not the exact location just a general area, e.g. what state/part of the country/world?

Even a known meteorite after it has been found has to be classified to be considered a real meteorite in the world of collectors.

Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think a meteorite would have more of a spherical end to it after burning up on entry into the earth's atmosphere. That looks like it was freshly broken off of something in the last 10000 years. My advice is to propel it as high into the air as you can and see if it alters the shape in any way as gravity does its thing. After seven or eight attempts if the shape has not altered in any way then you may be on to something. Please post photos in between propulsion so we can help you analyze if any change has occurred. Actually, time lapse photography after several hundred attempts would really help nail things down. If you can't throw very high on your own then perhaps you can find a local pitcher from a High School baseball team to help you out. FYI: have him stand on a ladder. That extra ten feet or so could make a HUGE difference.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a meteorite, and it could have broken on impact. Try a rock and mineral show if there is one nearby this summer.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
A good geology lab will have gadgets that can tell all kinds of stuff.
That aside if you grind or file a small window you can see if it's metal inside.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mysterious object

Has anyone ever found a "rock" that is Magnetic, yet does NOT set a metal detector off and even blocks the metal detector from detecting any kind of metal when the object is placed near the "rock"????? Also, the "rock" has its own EMF but is not magnetized at all. Looks like a meteorite with fusion crust.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

camdelcie1

Jul 4, 2016
Tx
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think a meteorite would have more of a spherical end to it after burning up on entry into the earth's atmosphere. That looks like it was freshly broken off of something in the last 10000 years. My advice is to propel it as high into the air as you can and see if it alters the shape in any way as gravity does its thing. After seven or eight attempts if the shape has not altered in any way then you may be on to something. Please post photos in between propulsion so we can help you analyze if any change has occurred. Actually, time lapse photography after several hundred attempts would really help nail things down. If you can't throw very high on your own then perhaps you can find a local pitcher from a High School baseball team to help you out. FYI: have him stand on a ladder. That extra ten feet or so could make a HUGE difference.

:dontknow:

Upvote 0

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that asking a professional is the best way to verify. However, I can tell you that I own a few meteorites that look VERY similar to that. They have the same color, shape features, cracking and smooth texture. It looks so much like mine that I would assume it is a meteorite, if I am wrong I appologize for getting your hopes up.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
google something like "is this a meteorite" there are a lot of sites that can walk you through a simple yes/no.

Upvote 0

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best "suspects" I've ever seen posted here.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions