Colorado
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex +
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Patriot
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any way to roughly date this suspender buckle or garter buckle? All other items found in the same field are dating to 1860s.... 1868 shield nickel, henry rimfire cartridges, SAW rimfire cartridges, etc... is this consistent with that time period? Cool that it has those two birds which make me think maybe its a garter buckle...

IMG_0849.jpg IMG_0850.jpg

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what you have there mate, but a garter buckle would make sense and be a rather interesting find in a field! So cheers to her, whoever she was! :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Time period looks good. In this case I think the size could determine which one it is. What size is it?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On suspenders-buckles, the "sawtoothed bar" type of clamp (which we see on your buckle) seems to not show up until the 1870s. Although it's not exactly identical to yours, the one in the photo below was patented in 1871.

Attachments

• suspenders-buckle_patented-1871_UNMARKED_sawtoothed-bar_Elephant_backview_TN_postedbyBurglarifyo.jpg
    suspenders-buckle_patented-1871_UNMARKED_sawtoothed-bar_Elephant_backview_TN_postedbyBurglarifyo.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDirtKing

TheDirtKing

Mar 5, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex +
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Patriot
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time period looks good. In this case I think the size could determine which one it is. What size is it?

Tony, its about 1.5" in either direction ... I was thinking maybe too big for a garter buckle

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2020
NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum SLT, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice suspender buckle! I've seen that one before and it was described as a "Civil War" suspender buckle found in a camp. TheCannonballGuy is right. It is not the same style as the one shown in his picture. The style in his picture comes in a huge variety and all have a patent date on them. Usually there is also 3 numbers. For example... PAT 420 1871. The 420 could be April 20, but I think it is the size or possibly the style. The numbers change frequently. Plus I have one that reads 432...that can't be April 32, lol. The one you posted doesn't have a patent date. Those type usually never does until you get into the 70's. For the most part, if it is from the 70's, it will say so. I believe you are correct with your time period. Nice find!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions