Suspender clip factory gives up Beautiful Large Cent

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Well pretty sure there was not a suspender clip factory here, :tongue3: but that's what I'm calling this site as I've rescued 5 of them from the dirt at this location.

Today I decided to hit another patch of woods past a small clearing. The second target was this beautiful 1827 large cent. I've only dug two LC's, the first one was almost completely worn flat, this one is the exact opposite. I was doing the happy dance in the dirt. Can't believe the detail on this coin. some minor corrosion on the nose and reverse, but she is still beautiful.

If anyone wants to have a poke at the grade or variety go for it

and it may just be dirt, but it looks like the B and E in LIBERTY are showing a bit of doubling.

Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,497
  • IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,497
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
umrgolf said:
gorgeous coin Bob.. glad that thing wasn't destroyed like most of the coppers out that way

Thanks Jeff, I know what you mean, usually the coppers don't do too well

I think this may have been along a road, perhaps it was packed down into the mud which helped preserve it :dontknow:

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
hogge said:
Newcomb 5......Common, but in great shape! Congrats! Hogge :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Hogge,

If you don't mind me asking, what are the features that make it that variety? I honestly can't tell one from the next.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BobinSouthVA said:
hogge said:

Thanks Hogge,

If you don't mind me asking, what are the features that make it that variety? I honestly can't tell one from the next.
My Breen book only says 12 varieties, so I went to "Coinfacts".com. your coin to the varieties shown. Mostly date spacing and position. That narrows it down. Then look at reverse varieties. There, it is mostly spacing on "ONE" and "CENT", and letters in legend. (plus the dot). Dies were used in combination with each other as they were expensive to make. So as one reverse die got worn ,or damaged, it was replaced with another and coupled with the older obverse die until that was worn out. And so on.....and so on..... This made the die combinations we see in a book like "Breens........" (Ryder, Miller, Maris, Newcomb, Overton.....etc...For the most part, each die cut, had very suttle differences. The rarer varieties came about when dies wore out when only a few were made with a certain combination. In some cases dies were recut to save money. This would give you overdates etc......They wouldn't just throw a die out from years past if it was still good. They would just recut it and use it again. Little did they know, later on in history, guys like us would be able to find and cash in on these rarities! :headbang: :hello2: :laughing9:

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
hogge said:
BobinSouthVA said:
hogge said:

Thanks Hogge,

My Breen book only says 12 varieties, so I went to "Coinfacts".com. your coin to the varieties shown. Mostly date spacing and position. That narrows it down. Then look at reverse varieties. There, it is mostly spacing on "ONE" and "CENT", and letters in legend. (plus the dot). Dies were used in combination with each other as they were expensive to make. So as one reverse die got worn ,or damaged, it was replaced with another and coupled with the older obverse die until that was worn out. And so on.....and so on..... This made the die combinations we see in a book like "Breens........" (Ryder, Miller, Maris, Newcomb, Overton.....etc...For the most part, each die cut, had very suttle differences. The rarer varieties came about when dies wore out when only a few were made with a certain combination. In some cases dies were recut to save money. This would give you overdates etc......They wouldn't just throw a die out from years past if it was still good. They would just recut it and use it again. Little did they know, later on in history, guys like us would be able to find and cash in on these rarities! :headbang: :hello2: :laughing9:

Thats Awesome Hogge, Thanks for the lesson.

:icon_thumright:

goonie1day

Jan 6, 2011
Lynchburg Va.
Detector(s) used
MXT w/ Sunray DX-1 probe. D2 and 12" Super Coil, 6" DD, Teknetics T2 LTD 10X12 SEF and a Propointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats a nice one, Most of the ones I've seen dug are wore flat. Great find!

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can guess that coin at VF to XF.......notice the berries on the reverse......not flat.
Very nice features......you might want to have that one professionally cleaned and graded.
I think it is in that nice of shape......and in the cleaning, it might be real nice.
Just my opinion. Great hunt......have you posted anything else that you found at this site?
(I am breezing through pages and pages of posts, and saw yours.....)

BayAreaDigger

Sep 7, 2011
hikeinmts said:
You can guess that coin at VF to XF.......notice the berries on the reverse......not flat.
Very nice features......you might want to have that one professionally cleaned and graded.
I think it is in that nice of shape......and in the cleaning, it might be real nice.
Just my opinion. Great hunt......have you posted anything else that you found at this site?

This. Very, very nice find! :headbang:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just now saw this post, got my book out and did not know Hogge ID'd but I came up with the same answer. Here is what I looked for on the coin using Noyes book which is a easy book to use, but very hard to find. >:(

First, your coin has a Close date with the tops of 82 very close; and the left edge of the curl of the hair is over the left edge of the 7, (that alone narrowed it down to only two varieties) the photo in the book matches on how the denticles appear, which is strong in the date area. There is no mention on doubling since what is seen is more or less normal.
On the Reverse you always look for alignment of the leaves at the letter D, S(ES), F and C(CA) for where they are pointing in relation to those letters. On this variety I noticed that your coin and the photo in Noyes book both seem to match on how the denticles get weak on the reverse on the left hand side.

To attribute a variety, it pays to combine the Obverse and Reverse photos, after cropping evenly, then I use Irfanview software (free) to combine the two photos into one, then if lighting used seems to alter how it looks I will make it black and white which is closer to how a coin looks in person. Then I will compare with an on-line source or a book if I have it. Sure beats going back and forth looking at different photos from different links.
Here is Bob's coin combined, reformatted photo I used.
1827BobVa.jpg
Don

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very beautiful copper! All 1827's I've seen come out of the ground seem to be in awesome shape....maybe they used better copper that year?

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bob, nice copper; way to go!!! :thumbsup: Breezie

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
hikeinmts said:

whoops it's been a few weeks since I've been on t-net and missed your question.

Yes I have a few other posts of items from this site, mostly a great site for suspender clips.

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Don in SJ said:
Just now saw this post, got my book out and did not know Hogge ID'd but I came up with the same answer. Here is what I looked for on the coin using Noyes book which is a easy book to use, but very hard to find. >:(

First, your coin has a Close date with the tops of 82 very close; and the left edge of the curl of the hair is over the left edge of the 7, (that alone narrowed it down to only two varieties) the photo in the book matches on how the denticles appear, which is strong in the date area. There is no mention on doubling since what is seen is more or less normal.
On the Reverse you always look for alignment of the leaves at the letter D, S(ES), F and C(CA) for where they are pointing in relation to those letters. On this variety I noticed that your coin and the photo in Noyes book both seem to match on how the denticles get weak on the reverse on the left hand side.

To attribute a variety, it pays to combine the Obverse and Reverse photos, after cropping evenly, then I use Irfanview software (free) to combine the two photos into one, then if lighting used seems to alter how it looks I will make it black and white which is closer to how a coin looks in person. Then I will compare with an on-line source or a book if I have it. Sure beats going back and forth looking at different photos from different links.
Here is Bob's coin combined, reformatted photo I used.

Don

Thank you very much Don, :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread