Sweet Token & my Oldest Coin so far.

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300
Sweet Token & my Oldest Coin so far.

Hi All,

I Went door knocking today and got permission to hunt a few front yards in town. First decent find was the 1919s Buffalo- it's my first one that has a date on it and it's one of the lower mintage ones. Dug a bunch of trash, then hit a 50s wheat. Finished that yard and went to show the owner my finds. She looks at my finds and then points across the road and says that they own the house over there too and I'm free to hunt that yard if I want. Walked over and hit a decent penny signal at two inches. Figured it was a shallow newer penny but dug anyway. It turned out to be 4 wheats at about 4 inches stacked together. Dug a bunch of trash after that and decide to hit the boulevard before I left. I usually don't hunt boulevards because it seems like they've been hunted. I'm glad I did though because I dug a cool token that says 5c in trade for the Stockholm Concert Hall in Kalispell.

I moved on to another yard on the west side of town that used to be a brothel way back. Wasn't finding anything good and figured it was picked over. Dug a shallow penny signal and it turned out to be my oldest coin yet- 1889 IH. It was just under the surface so someone must have disturbed the dirt around the foundation at some point. Didn't find anything else good in that yard. Tried a few doors in the area but didn't get any more permission. I decided to go over to the east side where my brother and I were having luck a few days ago. Found a bigger old home and knocked on the door. A nice lady answered and gave me the go ahead. Found a couple old wheats right off the bat and had high hopes for a virgin yard with some possible silver. It wasn't to be though, most of the yard seemed to have been regraded at some point because the old stuff was only coming up in one small area.

Still got a decent haul for a few hours work. I really like the token.

Also found about $3.50 in clad and memorial cents, a little religious pendant (not gold), a no cash value token, and a couple buttons that look newer.

Wheat dates: '13d '26d '35d(2) '38d '40d(2) '51D '53s '53d (Its weird, usually I dig mostly "s" mint wheats but today it was mostly "d"s.)

Thanks for looking

Happy Hunting

-Evan

Attachments

• PICT0164.JPG
    PICT0164.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 570
  • token.JPG
    token.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 551
  • tokenf.JPG
    tokenf.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 547
  • PICT0162.JPG
    PICT0162.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 538
  • PICT0163.JPG
    PICT0163.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 544
Upvote 0

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sweet Token & my Oldest Coin so far.

Old tokens like this are my absolute favorite things to dig, well except gold rings with diamonds, but . . . those yards are always filled with good coins. Congratulations on some amazing finds!! Can you clean the token and repost some closeups? VERY cool token!! :thumbsup:

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
unclejesse67

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300

BeachBumm said:
Old tokens like this are my absolute favorite things to dig, well except gold rings with diamonds, but . . . those yards are always filled with good coins. Congratulations on some amazing finds!! Can you clean the token and repost some closeups? VERY cool token!! :thumbsup:

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

Thanks for the reply. I cleaned the token in peroxide for a few minutes. It looks like it'll clean up better since it's made of copper and doesn't have any pitting or anything. I'll see what I can do.

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Good hunt!!! two indians from two diferent
generations. Now THAT is cool!!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrat's on the oldest Jesse....The token has to be my favorite of them all.Congrat's again on some awesome dig's :thumbsup:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As a token hunter/lover/wouldn't want to dig anything else, ever., that's one nice token! You are getting me to want to drive up to Montana and do some detecting! Congrates!

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

Nice finds. OLD HOMES ARE A GREAT PLACE TO HUNT. BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR NEXT HUNT.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds Jesse :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Hey, Jesse, that is a really cool token you have there! :thumbsup:

Congrats on all your finds, including your oldest coin so far.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Some very nice finds! The soil is kind to your coins out there; I seldom find copper that cleans up that nicely. I wouldn't mind finding a few old "D" coins, too. Congrats on that Indian head.

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Very nice finds. I like the token. Tokens are always a welcome sight.

OP
OP
unclejesse67

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300

tymcmurray said:
Good hunt!!! two indians from two diferent
generations. Now THAT is cool!!!

Thanks.

Montana Jim said:
Awesome Montana token!

Nice pile -o- finds uncle jesse :)

Thanks Jim.

civilman1 said:
Congrat's on the oldest Jesse....The token has to be my favorite of them all.Congrat's again on some awesome dig's :thumbsup:

Thanks Civilman.

curbdiggercarl57 said:
As a token hunter/lover/wouldn't want to dig anything else, ever., that's one nice token! You are getting me to want to drive up to Montana and do some detecting! Congrates!

Thanks Carl. There has to be some tokens in Colorado too right?

kdismuke1 said:
Nice finds. OLD HOMES ARE A GREAT PLACE TO HUNT. BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR NEXT HUNT.

Thanks.

Merf said:
Nice finds Jesse :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Merf

Captn_SE said:
Hey, Jesse, that is a really cool token you have there! :thumbsup:

Congrats on all your finds, including your oldest coin so far.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Dan

plehbah said:
The coins are nice, but even the low mintages still leave many existing examples. Many of the trade tokens are unique, with only one specimen known. Many others are one of only a couple or a few.

With the internet, you can now do some amazing research. You will be amazed at what you can find out about the tokens you find. Some have pretty amazing stories.

I am a trade token fanatic as you may or may not know, and I would be turning cartwheels to find that one, or one like it. That is a very nice trade token.

Thanks Plehbah. I'm kind of becoming partial to the tokens as well. This is the second one I've found this month and they're definitely more exciting to dig than an old penny.

halfdime said:
Some very nice finds! The soil is kind to your coins out there; I seldom find copper that cleans up that nicely. I wouldn't mind finding a few old "D" coins, too. Congrats on that Indian head.

Thanks Halfdime. Yeah most of the coins I find clean up pretty good. I consider myself lucky in that respect. The bad thing is that major settlement in my area didn't happen until around the turn of the century so I don't find anything too old.

crazyjarhead said:
Nice finds Unclejesse :thumbsup:

Thanks Jarhead.

Ed-NH said:
Very nice finds. I like the token. Tokens are always a welcome sight.

Thanks Ed.

silverfreak said:
Nice stuff buddy. The token is cool. :thumbsup:

Thanks Silverfreak.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good finds! It takes a lot of guts to knock on a strangers door and ask if you can dig up their lawn! Keep on asking and the goodies will pile up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions