What's new

Swift Creek check stamped pottery

pingdis

Full Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
118
Reaction score
222
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was walking a newly cleared tract of land along the Etowah River in Northwest Georgia this morning. The area has numerous Woodland sites (Leake site, e.g.), fish wiers, and the Etowah Indian Mound complex is nearby. As I was walking, I looked down and saw this. I believe it is Swift Creek check stamped piece. Anyone have an idea of age?

IMG_6727.webp
 
Upvote 0
I will tell you in a min the age. So were you on the river or a creek?
 
Seeing it is so dirty how do you know the name of it? Could be Woodstock, Bold Check or even Cartersville Check Stamped. Without the rim design it will be hard to actually determine which one it is. Your looking at Middle Woodland to Late Woodland period.
 
After some cleaning and further reflection, it is Cartersville check stamped.
 
My nickname is the "Pottery King"
 
Love it! I'm a big fan of pottery myself...prolly cause that's mostly what I find lol But seriously that's a great find!
 
I saw swift creek and had to stop. I am unfamiliar with the Cartersville type but trust your instincts. Wonder what the stamp or paddle looked like? I am guessing it is woven fiber pattern?
 
Yes, very similar
 
Yes, very similar

It is not far from the area you mentioned then coming my way you have your area and then Red Clay and below that the 5 village areas of Dragging Canoe.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom