What's new

Swimming hole rocks...ugh

dieselram94

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2011
Messages
9,236
Reaction score
6,709
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Took the sand shark out to a lake yesterday and found lots of signals...problem is I just couldn't dig with my scoop because of all the baseball sized rocks. Any tips?
 
Upvote 0
Snorkel, mask and gloves?
 
What scoop were you using?
 
I have several spots like this ..a Real bear to work..you need the correct scoop& a boat load of patience.. I just found an 1854 Large cent at one of them tho..shocked me to say the least!!
 
Snorkel, mask and gloves?
I want to try to not get in the water that deep as it is already getting cold. I was up to my waist and was shivering! Lol!
 
What scoop were you using?
I was using a aluminum scoop. About six inches across.
I have several spots like this ..a Real bear to work..you need the correct scoop& a boat load of patience.. I just found an 1854 Large cent at one of them tho..shocked me to say the least!!
That's awesome! I bet you were surprised! I know I would be.
 
I want to try to not get in the water that deep as it is already getting cold. I was up to my waist and was shivering! Lol!
sounds like some neoprene is in order! Just kidding.
 
Last edited:
sounds like some neoprene is in order! Just kidding.

All kidding aside - neoprene will extend our season up here. I'm about to spring for a new suit myself. Leisurepro always has a decent deal on basic suits. Beyond that... drysuit?
 
Ive found out the hard way.. Waders or a suit are a must when water hunting..except in the dead of summer ..even then some waters are cooler than you think. I use a older Sunspot scoop & you need to pry at / out the stones to get to the target..frustrating to say the least.. I usually only hunt these spots if they are producing good finds.
 
Ive found out the hard way.. Waders or a suit are a must when water hunting..except in the dead of summer ..even then some waters are cooler than you think. I use a older Sunspot scoop & you need to pry at / out the stones to get to the target..frustrating to say the least.. I usually only hunt these spots if they are producing good finds.
Yeah, so far the only thing I found at this site is pop tops and sinkers. I think I'll just let it be for now. Maybe if I spring for an Excalibur so I can discriminate I'll go back to it.
 
Get a wetsuit Ram - I dive every weekend in Minnesota and the temp in a wetsuit is beautiful. No need for a dry suit, they are cumbersome and a pain to put on.
 
Get a wetsuit Ram - I dive every weekend in Minnesota and the temp in a wetsuit is beautiful. No need for a dry suit, they are cumbersome and a pain to put on.
I think I will. All the trash I was finding proves it hasn't been hunted. I need one and curiosity is getting to me.
 
I'd recommend taking another detector, like excalibur for such a place, so you only dig up "good" non iron signals, for the rest: snorkel..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom