Swine Flu

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
The swine flu epidemic entered a dangerous new phase Monday as the death toll climbed in Mexico and the number of suspected cases there and in the United States nearly doubled. The World Health Organization raised its alert level but stopped short of declaring a global emergency.
The United States advised Americans against most travel to Mexico and ordered stepped up border checks in neighboring states. The European Union health commissioner advised Europeans to avoid nonessential travel both to Mexico and parts of the United States.
The virus poses a potentially grave new threat to the U.S. economy, which was showing tentative early signs of a recovery. A widespread outbreak could batter tourism, food and transportation industries, deepening the recession in the U.S. and possibly worldwide.

The suspected number of deaths rose to 149 in Mexico, the epicenter of the outbreak with nearly 2,000 people believed to be infected.
The number of U.S. cases doubled to 48, the result of further testing at a New York City school, although none was fatal. Other U.S. cases have been reported in Ohio, Kansas, Texas and California. Worldwide there were more than 70 cases, including six in Canada, one in Spain and two in Scotland.
While the total cases were still measured in hundreds, not thousands, Mexican Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova said the epidemic was entering an extremely dangerous phase, with the number of people infected mushrooming even as authorities desperately ramped up defenses.
"We are in the most critical moment of the epidemic. The number of cases will keep rising, so we have to reinforce preventative measures," Cordova said at a news conference.

INTERACTIVE

Phases of a pandemic
The World Health Organization has categorized pandemics into six phases and two post-pandemic periods.
The WHO raised the alert level to phase 4, meaning there is sustained human-to-human transmission of the virus causing outbreaks in at least one country.
Its alert system was revised after bird flu in Asia began to spread in 2004, and Monday was the first time it was raised above phase 3.
Too late for containment
"At this time, containment is not a feasible option," as the virus has already spread to several other countries, said WHO Assistant Director-General Keiji Fukuda.
Putting an alert at phases 4 or 5 signals that the virus is becoming increasingly adept at spreading among humans. That move could lead governments to set trade, travel and other restrictions aimed at limiting its spread.
Phase 6 is for a full-blown pandemic, characterized by outbreaks in at least two regions of the world.
It could take four to six months before the first batch of vaccines are available to fight the virus, WHO officials said.
Some countries plan to quarantine
Russia, Hong Kong and Taiwan said they would quarantine visitors showing symptoms of the virus amid global fears of a pandemic, an epidemic spread over a large area, either a region or worldwide.
President Barack Obama said the outbreak was reason for concern, but not yet "a cause for alarm."

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
ONE MORE THING!! :-X

Swine flu seems to be picking up in speed and while we’re not sure at this moment how much it will spread - it has the potential to be a worldwide pandemic that ends up affecting millions of people. Instead of sitting back and waiting, it’s better to take action now, even if it seems a little paranoid - you just never know.

You need to be aware of the symptoms of the swine flu virus, especially if you live in the Southern United States or Mexico. Below, you’ll find a list of common swine flu symptoms and indicators:

Cough
Sore throat
Runny/stuff nose
Body aching
Diarrhea
Vomiting
Fatigue
Fever (usually high)
Headache
Nausea
Muscle aches
Dry cough
The symptoms above might look familiar to you, and you’d be correct if you guessed they were the symptoms of the common flu. Since swine flu is a influenza virus, you’re going to find that the symptoms are pretty much the same. However, the reason swine flu is getting extra special attention is because unlike traditional influenza, which is usually only potentially fatal in young children and elderly - swine flu has killed perfectly healthy adults in Mexico.

B

BIG61AL

I've also heard that people who have received vaccines in the past may have partial protection. Whereas adults in Mexico may not had ever received a vaccine which leads me to believe that is why Mexico has been hit harder. imagine an infected person [unknown to themselves] travels to London and touches the hand rail in Heathrow which is touched by hundreds of people going to all points on the planet. Now that's friggin scary.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Yeah that wouldnt be good.

BIG61AL said:
I've also heard that people who have received vaccines in the past may have partial protection. Whereas adults in Mexico may not had ever received a vaccine which leads me to believe that is why Mexico has been hit harder. imagine an infected person [unknown to themselves] travels to London and touches the hand rail in Heathrow which is touched by hundreds of people going to all points on the planet. Now that's friggin scary.

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Everybody just drink the coolaid.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks civilwar hunter,i am wondering about this too.you suprised me. jamey

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to re-read Stephen King's 'The Stand'? In Oklahoma, there are rows and rows of graves of people who died from influenza in the early 1900's. Wars and rumors of wars, and pestilence spread throughout the land. I heard all them prophecies in church, but I don't know if that time has come. All y'all stay safe.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
IN COMEING NEWS!!

Global health authorities warned Wednesday that swine flu was threatening to bloom into a pandemic, and the virus spread farther in Europe even as the outbreak appeared to stabilize at its epicenter. A toddler who succumbed in Texas became the first death outside Mexico.

New cases and deaths finally seemed to be leveling off in Mexico, where 160 people have been killed, after an aggressive public health campaign. But the World Health Organization said the global threat is nevertheless serious enough to ramp up efforts to produce a vaccine against the virus. The group raised its pandemic alert for swine flu to the second highest level Wednesday, meaning that it believes a global outbreak of the disease is imminent. It was the first time the WHO had declared a phase 5 outbreak.

WHO Director General Margaret Chan declared the phase 5 alert after consulting with flu experts from around the world. The decision could lead the global body to recommend additional measures to combat the outbreak, including for vaccine manufacturers to switch production from seasonal flu vaccines to a pandemic vaccine.

"All countries should immediately now activate their pandemic preparedness plans," Chan told reporters in Geneva. "It really is all of humanity that is under threat in a pandemic."

A phase 5 alert means there is sustained transmission among people in at least two countries. Once the virus shows effective transmission in two different regions of the world, a full pandemic outbreak — phase 6 — would be declared, meaning a global epidemic of a new and deadly disease.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
MORE!! AND STILL COMEING!

"It is important to take this very seriously," Chan told a news conference watched around the globe on Wednesday. But for the average person, the term "pandemic" doesn't mean they're suddenly at greater risk.

Nearly a week after the H1N1 virus, or swine flu, was first identified in California and Texas, about 100 cases have now been confirmed in the U.S. across 11 states. The first U.S. death from the outbreak was a Mexico City toddler who traveled to Texas with family and died Monday night at a Houston hospital. U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius predicted the child would not be the last U.S. death from swine flu.

In addition to the 160 deaths, the virus is believed to have sickened 2,498 people across Mexico. But only 1,311 suspected swine flu patients remained hospitalized, and a closer look at daily admissions and deaths at Mexico’s public hospitals suggests the outbreak may have peaked during three grim days last week when thousands of people complained of flu symptoms.

The Mexican government has suspended all nonessential services at government offices and private businesses for five days as the country struggled to control an outbreak of swine flu that has killed eight people.

Health Secretary Angel Cordoba Villalobos announced the decision to shut down most of the country’s government and economy shortly after his department reported that confirmed cases of infection with the new strain of influenza had risen to 99, with eight deaths.

Vital services like transportation and airports will remain open, as will crucial economic services like pharmacies and the media, Cordoba said, according to reports from several Mexican newspapers. The Associated Press later confirmed the suspension plans.

Outside of Mexico, almost all cases have had only light symptoms, and only a handful of cases have needed hospitalization.

Officials warned more deaths could be expected as surveillance of the illness increases.

Pharmaceutical companies should ramp up manufacturing, Chan said. Two antiviral drugs — Relenza, made by GlaxoSmithKline and Tamiflu, made by Roche AG — have been shown to work against the H1N1 strain.

Interactive map

Infections around the world
A country-by-country look at where the swine flu has spread.
msnbc.com

Flu viruses are notorious for rapid mutation and unpredictable behavior, she warned. But she also offered words of reassurance.

“The world is better prepared for an influenza pandemic than at any time in history,” Chan said. “For the first time in history we can track the pandemic in real time.”

As fear and uncertainty about the disease ricocheted around the globe, Chan added that WHO did not recommend closing borders or forgoing pork.

No signs of slowing
Peru, Germany and Austria became the latest countries to report swine flu infections Wednesday, with cases already confirmed in Canada, Britain, Israel, New Zealand and Spain, bringing the number of affected countries to 10.

Spain has reported the first case in Europe of swine flu in a person who had not been to Mexico, illustrating the danger of person-to-person transmission.

Nations are taking all sorts of precautions, some more useful than others.

Egypt ordered the pig slaughter even though there hasn’t been a single case of swine flu there. Britain, with only five cases, is trying to buy 32 million masks. And in the United States, President Barack Obama said more of the country’s 132,000 schools may have to be shuttered.

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
I think it's being pumped up more than it really is by the media. Just my opinion.
As far as Obama having the answers,
They said we would have a Balck President when pigs fly. Well, it's been 100 days and and swine flu. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
You know that most of you people and some in the world.
Really believe in the media. For like Obama, they say that he's a musslim and other things. You believe that don't you??
Well do you believe the Swine flu is going to be one of the greatest spreading daises in history. Do you believe that?? I don't think you do. So why believe that Obama is what " They" say he is.

It kind of like "the daily prophet" in "Harry Potter" its all junk.
So read the "Quibbler" or in real life read more about the problem and what other people say before thinking whats true and whats not.

Most people thought that Obama and the rest of people were going to take guns away.
I believe that some people may be miss understud when it comes to this.

And one more thing this is for thought.Name me ten good things that Bush did when he was in office.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
civil war hunter said:
And one more thing this is for thought.Name me ten good things that Bush did when he was in office.
I can name one...he took more time off than any other president in history.
Obama is not any better. I think the Who had it right in "Won't get fooled again" when they sang..."Meet the new boss......same as the old boss."

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
After a while you get to recognize a certain style of propaganda. It starts with a small remote mention of something. A few days later a full sized article. Then there is a mini flood of talk about the subject and then it becomes a mass blast and "panic attack" issue.

Usually utilized by those in the pharma industry or those with "interests" in pharma to promote drugs, vaccines etc for $$$.

It isn't like the "Swine Flu" is new. It has been around for a long time. The first instance is when it was introduced to Senior Citizens through a flu vaccine program.

The news reports are saying this is not a pure form of swine flu a mixture of at least 3 different flus to include Avian.
So tell me, how did "bird flu" and swine flu" get intertwined, unless a lab somewhere were merging the varient strains to see what they would do ?

Everytime Big Pharma wants to push something, all of a sudden it is your "cholesterol" for new cholesterol drugs, or "depression" so everyone run and grab psych pills, and it goes on and on.

Aesops fable. Cry wolf when there isn't a real wolf, and then when there is no one is going to believe you.

I take these things in stride...not that I don't pay attention. If you catch something and you are concerned, spend a few bucks to get yourself to the medical center, whereas the doctor isn't going to take your illness seriously, and the/she will tell you "oh, it is just a virus, just go home and rest" and never test to see what you have. (It would be real easy for a real epidemic of dangerous pathogen to wipe us out just because the medical offices are cheap, lazy and apathetic, and --deleted--)

You know, I am "owned by God". Whether I live or die, I am in his hands, so since he is a good God and a merciful God I will trust in him. The worse case scenario is I could be cast into hell, but if so , then I obviously deserved it.

If you fear death from an epidemic, maybe what you really fear is that Holy confrontation.

itmaiden

P

pippinwhitepaws

hanta virus anyone...
i am having a sale on deer mice...$22.95 and you can have all the disease you like.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 122

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Hey, I was just reading earlier about a man who donated blood that was contaminated with a rodent virus (he had an infected pet hamster). All the recipients of his donated blood got the virus. It is making me re-think hospitalization.

itmaiden

pippinwhitepaws said:
hanta virus anyone...
i am having a sale on deer mice...$22.95 and you can have all the disease you like.

P

pippinwhitepaws

i am in flagstaff arizona, we had a report of a suspected case of swine flu at the university... friends an i were talking about it over coffee... i brought up we survived hanta virus, rattle snakes, rabies..(pets not allowed outside without supervision)..tourists, illegal and legal immigrants..so what's the worry?

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Ive been want to say this to someone since i didn't do it. :-\ ;D here it comes, :D ooooow boy! :-X
USE SPELL CHECK! :D :D :D :D
ahhhh yesss got that out.

but you spell good just some miss type, i do that in long messages. ::)

itmaiden said:
After a while you get to recognize a certain style of propaganda. It starts with a small remote mention of something. A few days later a full sized article. Then there is a mini flood of talk about the subject and then it becomes a mass blast and "panic attack" issue.

Usually utilized by those in the pharma industry or those with "interests" in pharma to promote drugs, vaccines etc for $$$.

It isn't like the "Swine Flu" is new. It has been around for a long time. The first instance is when it was introduced to Senior Citizens through a flu vaccine program.

The news reports are saying this is not a pure form of swine flu a mixture of at least 3 different flus to include Avian.
So tell me, how did "bird flu" and swine flu" get intertwined, unless a lab somewhere were merging the varient strains to see what they would do ?

Everytime Big Pharma wants to push something, all of a sudden it is your "cholesterol" for new cholesterol drugs, or "depression" so everyone run and grab psych pills, and it goes on and on.

Aesops fable. Cry wolf when there isn't a real wolf, and then when there is no one is going to believe you.

I take these things in stride...not that I don't pay attention. If you catch something and you are concerned, spend a few bucks to get yourself to the medical center, whereas the doctor isn't going to take your illness seriously, and the/she will tell you "oh, it is just a virus, just go home and rest" and never test to see what you have. (It would be real easy for a real epidemic of dangerous pathogen to wipe us out just because the medical offices are cheap, lazy and apathetic, and --deleted--)

You know, I am "owned by God". Whether I live or die, I am in his hands, so since he is a good God and a merciful God I will trust in him. The worse case scenario is I could be cast into hell, but if so , then I obviously deserved it.

If you fear death from an epidemic, maybe what you really fear is that Holy confrontation.

itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Spell check ? Nah, I'm too lazy. I am also sloppy in writing on the Internet. Then there is the disability. I have a medical condition that is robbing me of my spelling, vocabulary, grammar and so forth. So even when I go back to correct a post...like 3 times there are still errors.
Then there are those darn confounded computer encryption problems so that once you have something "right" it pops out different once it travels through the Internet highway.

So if you can forgive my imperfections and casual attitudes....

yep, and then there are the memory problems with perimenopause hormone changes and the possible early alzheimers.

At this age, I can either stress it, which only makes things worse or just forget about it.

Life is what it is. People are what they are. I don't try to place everyone on the same level or expect the same from everyone.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
:D :D :D
Now that is comedy!

itmaiden said:
Spell check ? Nah, I'm too lazy. I am also sloppy in writing on the Internet. Then there is the disability. I have a medical condition that is robbing me of my spelling, vocabulary, grammar and so forth. So even when I go back to correct a post...like 3 times there are still errors.
Then there are those darn confounded computer encryption problems so that once you have something "right" it pops out different once it travels through the Internet highway.

So if you can forgive my imperfections and casual attitudes....

yep, and then there are the memory problems with perimenopause hormone changes and the possible early alzheimers.

At this age, I can either stress it, which only makes things worse or just forget about it.

Life is what it is. People are what they are. I don't try to place everyone on the same level or expect the same from everyone.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civil war hunter said:
Ive been want to say this to someone since i didn't do it. :-\ ;D here it comes, :D ooooow boy! :-X
USE SPELL CHECK! :D :D :D :D
ahhhh yesss got that out.

but you spell good just some miss type, i do that in long messages. ::)

You should practice what you preach.
[/quote]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions