What's new

Switching Hobbies

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2018
Messages
9,189
Reaction score
33,103
Golden Thread
0
Location
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I told my wife I’m getting a new hobby. She said great, but why don’t you get rid of an old hobby first. You have too much stuff! She’s right of course. So I decided to sell my sawmill and saw. I have degenerative disc disease and my back is getting pretty bad. So, I sold my mill and saw for $2000.
IMG_9456.webp


With $2000 in hand I came home and made my purchase. I have $50 left!

IMG_9986.webp
 
Sounds like what a wife would say. I've been trying harder to keep some of my thoughts now to myself, which still isn't any better. Just a couple days ago I was sitting at a stoplight and there was a drone hovering above the intersection. I wondered what it was up to.
 
I told my wife I’m getting a new hobby. She said great, but why don’t you get rid of an old hobby first. You have too much stuff! She’s right of course. So I decided to sell my sawmill and saw. I have degenerative disc disease and my back is getting pretty bad. So, I sold my mill and saw for $2000. View attachment 2208279

With $2000 in hand I came home and made my purchase. I have $50 left!

View attachment 2208282
Looks like this new hobby should be a lot of fun. Enjoy.
 
Sounds like what a wife would say. I've been trying harder to keep some of my thoughts now to myself, which still isn't any better. Just a couple days ago I was sitting at a stoplight and there was a drone hovering above the intersection. I wondered what it was up to.
Kingston police are doing drone surveillance of drivers that are using the handheld devices now.
So this mighty be your answer on what it might be the reason.
 
I told my wife I’m getting a new hobby. She said great, but why don’t you get rid of an old hobby first. You have too much stuff! She’s right of course. So I decided to sell my sawmill and saw. I have degenerative disc disease and my back is getting pretty bad. So, I sold my mill and saw for $2000. View attachment 2208279

With $2000 in hand I came home and made my purchase. I have $50 left!

View attachment 2208282
I'd rather have the mill personally.
But the drone looks like a fun thing as well.
 
Sounds like what a wife would say. I've been trying harder to keep some of my thoughts now to myself, which still isn't any better. Just a couple days ago I was sitting at a stoplight and there was a drone hovering above the intersection. I wondered what it was up to.
About 30 feet
 
That's funny Jeff.
I use mine when prospecting, don't like to loose site of it, otherwise I might be going on a 2 day hike. Lost sight a few times, good thing they have a return to home button.
 
I think driving your car is being in public. If you’re in public, on public property filming, no one has any expectation of privacy. Whatever your camera can see is legal to film. You can film through a window of a restaurant or bank if you are standing on public property. Perfectly legal in the US. I think the cops in Kingston might win this one.
There's no law regarding filming a private residence either it seems.
 
From the outside, at a distance not considered peeping, I would assume.
It doesn't go well when it happens closer.

Folks need to know the boundaries of what's acceptable, and what could be interpreted as needing to be corrected.
 
From the outside, at a distance not considered peeping, I would assume.
In IL, you can’t film someone in private without their consent. Filming from a public area is different. You have no expectation of privacy in public, period.
 
The cameras on these drones have an ineradicable zoom, I can see laws about distance to filming near private property.
 
My drone came and I managed to jump through all the tech hoops to get it flying. Next I’ll figure out how to take pics and videos. Flying it is very easy. A 5 yr old could easily learn to control it. I flew radio control airplanes and those are 10X harder to fly. I’ve been reading about legal issues as well. Once the drone is airborne, it comes under FAA rules only. No state or local laws apply to aircraft in the air. Air space above your property is owned by you, however any aircraft has an “easement “ to fly over it. A city could ban use of, say a park, for take offs and landings, but has zero control of an airborne drone.
IMG_0111.webp
IMG_0112.webp

I’ve only managed to take a pic of the screen with my phone. A lot more tech stuff to figure out! If you zoom in you can see me sitting in the open door on my barn.
 
Last edited:
My drone came and I managed to jump through all the tech hoops to get it flying. Next I’ll figure out how to take pics and videos. Flying it is very easy. A 5 yr old could easily learn to control it. I flew radio control airplanes and those are 10X harder to fly. I’ve been reading about legal issues as well. Once the drone is airborne, it comes under FAA rules only. No state or local laws apply to aircraft in the air. Air space above your property is owned by you, however any aircraft has an “easement “ to fly over it. A city could ban use of, say a park, for take offs and landings, but has zero control of an airborne drone. View attachment 2210042View attachment 2210043
I’ve only managed to take a pic of the screen with my phone. A lot more tech stuff to figure out! If you zoom in you can see me sitting in the open door on my barn.
And you are on only 1x, bump it up 2x then 3x, you will be able see the color of your eyes.
 
My drone came and I managed to jump through all the tech hoops to get it flying. Next I’ll figure out how to take pics and videos. Flying it is very easy. A 5 yr old could easily learn to control it. I flew radio control airplanes and those are 10X harder to fly. I’ve been reading about legal issues as well. Once the drone is airborne, it comes under FAA rules only. No state or local laws apply to aircraft in the air. Air space above your property is owned by you, however any aircraft has an “easement “ to fly over it. A city could ban use of, say a park, for take offs and landings, but has zero control of an airborne drone. View attachment 2210042View attachment 2210043
I’ve only managed to take a pic of the screen with my phone. A lot more tech stuff to figure out! If you zoom in you can see me sitting in the open door on my barn.
Didn't realize that your world is so flat.
I do see that they're baling the hay.
Good images.
 
Didn't realize that your world is so flat.
I do see that they're baling the hay.
Good images.
Flat thanks to the WI glacier. I’m about 10 miles north of the terminal moraine. I’ve always lived on the prairie on get totally lost in mountainous terrain very fast.😝
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom