Sword found in woods!! Authentic or repro?

Gregg3131

May 24, 2015
Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Limited Edition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• received_429728527657632.png
    received_429728527657632.png
    441.9 KB · Views: 276
  • received_360101251564291.png
    received_360101251564291.png
    466.4 KB · Views: 174
  • received_1379507465534371.png
    received_1379507465534371.png
    447.2 KB · Views: 202

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, that would be a fun one for sure..

Looks like a shop project to me, ball on end looks welded, handle looks to be round stock... better pics would differently help..

Upvote 0

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First. It’s been in the woods for a while with that much deterioration but a few things stand out as odd. The hilt would have been slid down the handle and the pommel would have been slid on against the handle material and the end of the sword handle area premed over the pommel knob. The square piece looks cast to me which would mean a more contemporary re-pop maybe from the 50’s or 60’s.

Upvote 0

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More info from.landowner
It is definitely steel, or iron, and weighs like it is. It has zero edge. Just a flat side. I thought prop when I first saw it but pommell is very heavy for a prop

Some reproductions are very well done, and in the case of Civil War era swords for sure, can be mistaken for the real thing.
I just thought of something else. There are modern day blacksmiths who make weapons and other medieval objects.
But anything is possible.

Upvote 0

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Cool find, that would be a fun one for sure..

Looks like a shop project to me, ball on end looks welded, handle looks to be round stock... better pics would differently help..

I agree about it being a shop project. It’s pretty janky and rudimentary. Even if it was a prop sword it would have used cast parts and wouldn’t look like it was slapped together in metal shop with a grinder and a hand brake. I also bet it’s mild steel and probably only 10 or 15 years old depending on where the OP is located. Here on the ocean in the Pacific NW it would look like that in somewhere around 2 weeks in the rain and salt air.

This part isn’t for you Toecutter, Ceremonial fraternal swords are almost always pretty fine blades in that they are thin and delicate not unwieldy or huge like that is.

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Still waiting on a picture of the tip. If it's pointy it possibly was a sword of some kind. If it's squared off like in the picture of it leaning against a tree and made that way, not broken off I'm sticking to the fence theory.

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Not part of a fence... not a "claymore" sword.

This is a medieval "long sword".

Please post closer / detailed pictures for further opinions etc.

PS...

This highly interests me... and this is one of the following cases...

Repo... taken to these woods for "role play" and left behind / lost.

Real... taken to these woods for "role play" and left behind / lost.

OR... ?
It's always great to have an active imagination.. However, the "not part of a fence" comment is ridiculous. You posted some pictures as examples of swords. Cool. Show some pictures of real swords that have a blade made of flat stock with no fuller, no point, no curvature to the blade at all and with a cross guard that appears to also be made of flat stock like you can buy in any metal supply place. By curvature of the blade I don't mean curved like a cutlass, I mean the cross section of the blade. I can go out to my garage right now and using scrap metal I have collected, make something that looks more like a sword than that thing does... Please take no offense to my comments but if that's a sword it was made by some kid in high school metal shop...

Upvote 0

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, looking at the correct photo helps a lot! I was looking at the one with the guy holding it with the gloves. Looking at the original photo, that is not a sword in my opinion. Much to plain, the pommel is way to big and it is nothing more than flat steel construction. Leaning heavily toward the fence/gate idea.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a theatrical prop for movies or plays, it certainly was not made as a weapon and it doesn't look very old.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always great to have an active imagination.. However, the "not part of a fence" comment is ridiculous. You posted some pictures as examples of swords. Cool. Show some pictures of real swords that have a blade made of flat stock with no fuller, no point, no curvature to the blade at all and with a cross guard that appears to also be made of flat stock like you can buy in any metal supply place. By curvature of the blade I don't mean curved like a cutlass, I mean the cross section of the blade. I can go out to my garage right now and using scrap metal I have collected, make something that looks more like a sword than that thing does... Please take no offense to my comments but if that's a sword it was made by some kid in high school metal shop...

?

The pics I posted ARE real.

The ops pics...

Cant tell anything by the pictures HENCE why I said to post more.

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
?

The pics I posted ARE real.

The ops pics...

Cant tell anything by the pictures HENCE why I said to post more.
Nobody said YOUR pictures aren't real swords. You DID say it's not part of a fence. I don't agree and I have no idea why you would say that with such certainty without seeing much better pictures. It's all good. I don't come here to argue. But they are completely irrelevant to helping the guy ID whatever it is he found. What would really be helpful would be for him to come back with additional pictures but he seems to have left the building... More pictures of the item he found could easily put any speculation to rest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody said YOUR pictures aren't real swords. You DID say it's not part of a fence. I don't agree and I have no idea why you would say that with such certainty without seeing much better pictures. It's all good. I don't come here to argue. But they are completely irrelevant to helping the guy ID whatever it is he found. What would really be helpful would be for him to come back with additional pictures but he seems to have left the building... More pictures of the item he found could easily put any speculation to rest.

Well I did partially already I.D. it by stating...

Its NOT a fence. :)

Now... With that said AGAIN... lets move on. heh

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw... whilst on the subject of imagination...

A very old item can sometimes end up in a very new environment VIA multiple circumstances.

Upvote 0

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are always a breath of fresh air....

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made some motion pictures. This was not a prop sword. It has no edge! Even our plastic ones and cast resin ones LOOK real. It does have a medieval style to it. But with nothing more than a rectangular "blade", it never was a sword. Or a movie prop. Most movie props are made of items that aren't metal. And they won't cut you, but with digital enlargement and freeze frames they would never use something so blunt.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gregg3131

May 24, 2015
Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Limited Edition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned I received this photos from landowner I dont have the sword when.i head there for metal detecting I will take more photos. Thanks for all the comments

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread