Fullstock Bronze Member Joined Oct 14, 2012 Messages 1,215 Reaction score 3,806 Golden Thread 0 Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Apr 18, 2019 #1 I found these two pieces today in an area where Civil War relics have been found. Thoughts on both?
firemanphob Bronze Member Joined Apr 8, 2018 Messages 1,082 Reaction score 2,024 Golden Thread 0 Location Lanesville, IN Detector(s) used White Coin master 4000 Garrett AT PRO Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Apr 18, 2019 #2 my guess on the snap hook would be harness. not sure on buckle, looks light for horse tack. https://ia800300.us.archive.org/Boo.../catalogueno200jmei_0111.jp2&scale=4&rotate=0 Upvote 0
my guess on the snap hook would be harness. not sure on buckle, looks light for horse tack. https://ia800300.us.archive.org/Boo.../catalogueno200jmei_0111.jp2&scale=4&rotate=0
smokeythecat Platinum Member Joined Nov 22, 2012 Messages 20,926 Reaction score 41,158 Golden Thread 10 Location Maryland 🥇 Banner finds 10 Detector(s) used XP Deus II Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Apr 18, 2019 #3 I'm also leaning on a harness buckle ID. I have found them in CW cavalry camps. Upvote 0
D Dfxcobb Sr. Member Joined Dec 11, 2016 Messages 390 Reaction score 887 Golden Thread 0 Location NW Alabama Detector(s) used whites mx sport. DFX tesori tiger shark Primary Interest: Relic Hunting Apr 18, 2019 #4 i know there many variations of sword hanger. and some are brass. im leaning on horse tack due to the almost circle at bottom. im probably wrong but the sword hangers i have encountered look more like a J with a straight back Upvote 0
i know there many variations of sword hanger. and some are brass. im leaning on horse tack due to the almost circle at bottom. im probably wrong but the sword hangers i have encountered look more like a J with a straight back
A2coins Ruby Member Joined Dec 20, 2015 Messages 33,867 Reaction score 42,646 Golden Thread 0 Location Ann Arbor Detector(s) used Equinox 800 Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Apr 18, 2019 #5 Nice old relic Upvote 0
ANTIQUARIAN Gold Member 🥇 Charter Member Joined Apr 24, 2010 Messages 13,021 Reaction score 28,183 Golden Thread 1 Location Upper Canada 🇨🇦 🥇 Banner finds 1 Detector(s) used XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot' Primary Interest: Relic Hunting Apr 19, 2019 #6 I'm not an expert on CW sword hangers, but I've found my fair share of horse harness clips. Dave Attachments 20150602_195824_resized.webp 41 KB · Views: 70 WP_20170618_15_46_29_Rich (2).webp 185.6 KB · Views: 62 Upvote 0
ARC Emerald Member Joined Aug 19, 2014 Messages 40,567 Reaction score 151,009 Golden Thread 0 Location Tarpon Springs Detector(s) used JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585 Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Apr 19, 2019 #7 Unfortunately ... IMO... Not Civil War. Antiquarian... yours either. Snap hooks for that era were bronze or brass. Leech And Rigdon were the main manufacturers of snap hooks during that period... they made brass mostly. Upvote 0
Unfortunately ... IMO... Not Civil War. Antiquarian... yours either. Snap hooks for that era were bronze or brass. Leech And Rigdon were the main manufacturers of snap hooks during that period... they made brass mostly.
DCMatt Gold Member Joined Oct 12, 2006 Messages 10,485 Reaction score 13,791 Golden Thread 0 Location Herndon Virginia Detector(s) used Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic Primary Interest: Metal Detecting Apr 19, 2019 #8 I'm with the others. The hook is horse tack. The buckle, however, looks to be a CW kepi chin strap buckle. Nice one! Upvote 0
I'm with the others. The hook is horse tack. The buckle, however, looks to be a CW kepi chin strap buckle. Nice one!
Fullstock Bronze Member Joined Oct 14, 2012 Messages 1,215 Reaction score 3,806 Golden Thread 0 Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Apr 19, 2019 Thread Owner #9 DCMatt said: I'm with the others. The hook is horse tack. The buckle, however, looks to be a CW kepi chin strap buckle. Nice one! Click to expand... DCMatt, the buckle does look like a Kepi buckle but it’s double the size of any I’ve found before. Maybe a sash buckle? Upvote 0
DCMatt said: I'm with the others. The hook is horse tack. The buckle, however, looks to be a CW kepi chin strap buckle. Nice one! Click to expand... DCMatt, the buckle does look like a Kepi buckle but it’s double the size of any I’ve found before. Maybe a sash buckle?
Hawks88 Gold Member Joined Aug 26, 2012 Messages 7,881 Reaction score 11,846 Golden Thread 0 Location Niagara falls Detector(s) used Equinox 800 Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Apr 19, 2019 #10 Congrats on the nice finds. Upvote 0
DCMatt Gold Member Joined Oct 12, 2006 Messages 10,485 Reaction score 13,791 Golden Thread 0 Location Herndon Virginia Detector(s) used Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic Primary Interest: Metal Detecting Apr 19, 2019 #11 Fullstock said: DCMatt, the buckle does look like a Kepi buckle but it’s double the size of any I’ve found before. Maybe a sash buckle? Click to expand... It does look a bit big for a kept... Still seems like a 'light duty' piece - like a chin strap adjuster. CW officer sashes were tied on - no buckle. Are you thinking woman's dress/sash buckle? That's always a possibility I suppose... Upvote 0
Fullstock said: DCMatt, the buckle does look like a Kepi buckle but it’s double the size of any I’ve found before. Maybe a sash buckle? Click to expand... It does look a bit big for a kept... Still seems like a 'light duty' piece - like a chin strap adjuster. CW officer sashes were tied on - no buckle. Are you thinking woman's dress/sash buckle? That's always a possibility I suppose...