Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sword plate after a trip to the beauty shop + the Large still lookin' rough

baking soda, then peroxide followed by electrolysis and a light buff with #800 wet. my concern is the back stamp number. would really Suck if it's a fake :BangHead::BangHead: the copper is obverse, then reverse in medal orientation then coin orientation. think it's a Brit.:dontknow::dontknow: IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2936.JPG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2938.JPG IMG_2939.JPG IMG_2940.JPG IMG_2941.JPG IMG_2942.JPG IMG_2943.JPG flattened the plate as much as I dared, I am no hero and cracking the metal is not an option.

Upvote 3

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the belt plate. I'm no expert on these so I can't tell you if it is real or not. Seems a shame to put it through such a harsh cleaning. Some things are better left alone - but then again, its yours to do with what you want.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Federal Eagle Belt Plate 1851-1874.
"Standard Issue" for Union Officers
Often worn by both sides during Civil War, reflecting the original Federal Commissions awarded before the Civil War.
your is in very sad shape and the "cleaning" you have done to it reduced it's value to maybe $100 if you get very lucky

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! Nice plate!

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
York PA, Edisto Beach SC, Shepherdstown WV
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's real alright- the benchmarks were put on them to Match them up with the right belt keeper (would be stamped the same number. However, future note, most times it is best to leave artifacts as they are, cleaning can harm an artifact and depreciate value. Also, the copper sort of looks like a William the 3rd from here but i may be seeing things. HH!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like it came out of the same shop Kim Kardashian used to make her ass look bigger.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's real alright- the benchmarks were put on them to Match them up with the right belt keeper (would be stamped the same number. However, future note, most times it is best to leave artifacts as they are, cleaning can harm an artifact and depreciate value. Also, the copper sort of looks like a William the 3rd from here but i may be seeing things. HH!
I agree on the William III diagnosis for the copper. Thats a sweet plate. Amazing find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread