T-Rex

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got to try out the T-Rex today at the OBX. I must say this thing is awesome. I put an Ash handle on it from Lowes. Stained and finished it in some marine grade high gloss waterproofer. I know I know...not necessary but I like the unique professional look. Back to the Rex
It's a bit on the heavy side. Dry sand falls right out with a gentle shake to easily recover your target. Damp sand takes a little more vigorous shaking. In the water this thing is a dream. Out of all the holes dug today I only had to dig 3 holes more than once. This thing goes super deep the first time to quickly get what you're aiming for...if you're good at pinpointing then you should be able to get your target the first time. The weight that you carry around just kind of disappears from your mind when you see how fast and easy this thing digs. I know people like what they like and I've never tried any other heavy duty scoop other than this. This is just what I've found about the T-Rex in case anyone was interested. I'm not promoting it in any way...opinions vary...I like the thing.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130609_220214.png
    ForumRunner_20130609_220214.png
    267 KB · Views: 243
  • ForumRunner_20130609_220206.png
    ForumRunner_20130609_220206.png
    298.1 KB · Views: 229
  • ForumRunner_20130609_220153.png
    ForumRunner_20130609_220153.png
    289.5 KB · Views: 236
OP
OP
Metal.detective

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you can find one around 160-180 bucks. I got lucky at an auction site and got this one for 125 free shipping.

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farm and Feed stores sell a 1 Gallon metal feed scoop for $15. looks like a sold metal version of this. Im thinking of buying one and drilling holes in it and attaching a handle. these things are waaaaay over priced for what they are... they probably make em for $5.

im a farm boy... im gonna get lookin into this.

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mine in a commercial shop setting on a daily basis for scooping Alfalfa Pellets into containers. They are very sturdy.. much sturdier than it looks. Its definately worth a shot. Im sure it can take a few kicks. ...i make fresh alfalfa feed pellets for champion race horses.

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The feed scoop may work if the parts are reinforced with welding like they are on the T-Rex...there's a lot of lateral force applied when you use this type of tool mounted on a vertical handle. I do agree...the pricing is outrageous. A lot of vendors know they have a vertical market and charge high prices because they know a lot of folks will pay it. (I'm guilty of overpaying for things I know aren't really worth it :))

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya .. me too lol ask my wife haha. There's some utube vids of how people have sturdily attached handles... seems legit.

harryst

Oct 1, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first of all if you guys do a lot of beach detecting you would know that if it's not built like a tank it just does not last. I have use different scoops over the years and T-Rex is not cheap but works like it should and will last a life time of hard use. If you ever get a chance to see one in person you would see that it is heavy duty SS and a great design that's easy to dig with. It was designed by someone that would know (owner of The Gold Digger in NJ) and all hand made in the US. Digging in wet sand or in the water is not for some feed store scoop. If you do a lot of beach detecting it's worth looking into if you just go some times any basic scoop will work.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those big stainless scoops are the way to go for gravel or rocky bottom lakes.

Bombguy

Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soveriegn GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my scoop and the addition I made myself...the only thing left was to put Tennis Tape on the handle... what do you think?...I beach hunt all the time...

ForumRunner_20131112_143521.png

ForumRunner_20131112_143536.png

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MY advice, don't waist your time on a feed scoop! I did it, tried it, reinforced with aluminum, it just cant handle the digging stress placed on in and will cave in on the bottom. By the time I was done I had $60 into it and it only lasted for about 6 hunts. Too get it to drain you have to drill enough holes that you will weaken it too much. If you are serious about beach or water hunting save your money and buy a quality stainless steel scoop. I bought a T-rex and had much more enjoyable hunts and was way more productive. You waste too much time with a home built wannabee scoop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions