What's new

Takin a Seat With Lady Liberty

minton7

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2007
Messages
981
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
Location
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I have hunted and hunted this very old church site this year and nearly every time I go I come back with at least one keeper..... Tonight I had maybe 40 minutes to hunt it..... but managed this vey worn seated dime at about 2 inches.... Although the pic is crap... I can see that is appears to be 1854 or 74 when I look at it in the light...... any ideas of how to be certain of the date? The back is nearly worn smooth..... this is a dime and not a half dime.... I have found 2 of those this year as well.... but this is my first seated dime... paid 18.00 to buy one but never found one.... this old site has yielded many awesome finds which I will chronicle in a later post........ the oddest thing was that it came up as a bottle cap/new penny on my spectrum xlt... the signal went from like 69-79.... but the half dimes I found did the exact same thing.... so again dig all the hits.... cause you just never know what you might pull out..
 

Attachments

  • seated.webp
    seated.webp
    3.1 KB · Views: 551
Upvote 0
Minton7:
Both dates have 'arrows' at the date mark. Both coins were minted at the same four mints. Both have the same composition, diameter and reeded edges. Perhaps the only difference was that the 1854 weighed in at 2.49 grams; the 1874 coin weighed 2.50 grams. Such a slight difference might have vanished due to wear.
Though the mintages were different, I believe the current value of either date in this condition would be similar.
Great find!
Don.......
 
Congrats on the seated. Thats a great find no matter what the condition. I found my first seated dime as well this year.
 
It might be worn, but she sure is pretty!

Nice!
 
If you've found multiple Seated coins this year, keep doing what you're doing! ;) How about some pics of the earlier coins and more of the story? Inquiring minds want to know :)
 
Nice find! Any Seated is great to have, regardless of condition!
 
Awesome WTG, I found a seated this year too!!

Keep @ it and HH!!
 
If only the guy would of lost a new half dime. :D :D Congrats no matter what condition.
Burdie
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom