What's new

Tapered lead

worldtalker

Platinum Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
21,617
Reaction score
31,162
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't figure what this was used for, 2 inches long weighs 62g.God Bless Chris
 

Attachments

  • 021.webp
    021.webp
    132 KB · Views: 356
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    93.9 KB · Views: 370
  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    97.4 KB · Views: 365
Could be an old plumbob, I see an indentation in the bottom where the pointer might have been but rusted away. Try a magnet on that spot, it may be weak but if it responds at all that would be a good sign. I once dug a sleigh bell that was turned into a plumbob. It's a neat piece of Yankee ingenuity, they positioned a square nail for the pointer out the slot in the bottom and poured it full of lead... Dave
 
Upvote 0
dsinsc said:
Could be an old plumbob, I see an indentation in the bottom where the pointer might have been but rusted away. Try a magnet on that spot, it may be weak but if it responds at all that would be a good sign. I once dug a sleigh bell that was turned into a plumbob. It's a neat piece of Yankee ingenuity, they positioned a square nail for the pointer out the slot in the bottom and poured it full of lead... Dave
All lead.
 
Upvote 0
Could it be a loom weight? HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 

Attachments

  • loom.webp
    loom.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 438
Upvote 0
Another thought?

I think this is the right name of what I'm thinking of.
A "sounders weight"?
They were used to test the depth of the river for riverboat navigation. They also used them for testing the depth of a water well.
 
Upvote 0
dozer dan said:
Another thought?

I think this is the right name of what I'm thinking of.
A "sounders weight"?
They were used to test the depth of the river for riverboat navigation. They also used them for testing the depth of a water well.
dan,sounds logical.
 
Upvote 0
calisdad said:
Timekiller said:
Best guess a Bell Clapper
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
Being lead seems to me it wouldn't give you the clang your lookin for,and,it wouldn't last to maintain it's shape.
me too. not heavy enough to beat the currents required for a sounder.
 
Upvote 0
decoy anchor???d2
 
Upvote 0
My money is with calisdad......decoy weight.
 
Upvote 0
I recon I'll have to agree on the decoy weight. Thanks all! God Bless CXhris
 
Upvote 0
I knew I had seen those somewhere and couldnt place where?Then when you mentioned it I remembered seein them on my grandfathers decoys!!!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom