Taxes on refined metals though MW Refineries?

ohiotech

Jan 4, 2007
Dayton, Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark with stock 8" and CSC

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I guess it would be like reporting tips if you were a waiter, let your conscience be your guide. I guess there is a record of where they paid people just not sure if they send anyting to the IRS. Good question and I have also wondered about this same thing.

OP
OP
O

ohiotech

Jan 4, 2007
Dayton, Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark with stock 8" and CSC
I asked them, and they told me that they keep a record.

That being said, you can make a case for profit and loss... but I don't know how many years you could do that before the IRS would give you a hassle. 5 years of losses is okay as long as there is always a profit potential... at least that's what I remember reading last year.

I've only ever found nails and screws in my backyard, as I have not even taken my machine out for its maiden voyage. It was just that this question/issue has been sitting on my shoulders for a couple of months now.

Ohiotech

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
why would you pay taxes on scrap that was just laying around the house anyway? ::) :thumbsup:

954hunter

Dec 10, 2007
Ft. Laud. Fl
Detector(s) used
Excal. II
solx nys said:
why would you pay taxes on scrap that was just laying around the house anyway? ::) :thumbsup:
...................................................And an arguement could be made that you paid tax when you bought the jewelry new, maybe even a depreciation on your loss is in order.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread