Ted Williams "Treasure Locator"

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
There was a garage sale on my mail route yesterday that had a Ted Williams "Treasure Locator" for sale. I asked the guy if it worked, he didn't know. I asked if he had a book for it and he said no.I didn't ask a price & kept working.
I'm guessing it was a Monkey Wards item. Ted put his name on lots of stuff. It was rather bulky and reminded me of a Geiger counter from 50's & 60's films, 8 or 10 knobs & switches.
Anyone ever use one?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in (and since I didn't know what a "Treasure Hunter" looked like) - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found...Whites Ted Williams Treasure Hunter (May 31, 2012)...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If the link that vp-navy gives is accurate, then that is one of many re-packaged Whites machines of the very early 1970s (perhaps late '60s?) that Whites sold under different names, through different distributors. But they were still basically a Whites, just with a different decal. Sears, for example, sold whites machines for awhile, yet they were simply a 5000d, or a 6000d, etc....

That particular one, shown in the pix that vp-navy shows, appears to be an old all-metal TR. It's an utter dinasour by today's standards. If you want it as a conversation piece (like if you're a nostalgia buff), fine. But if you're thinking of getting it to use, it's not going to do much good for you, unless you're in a place prolific with easy shallow targets, and unless you need no disc, no ground balance, etc....

OP
OP
U

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I did a search w/ no luck. The one at the garage sale was different than the link. Lots more knobs/switches. The link one looks more like the old white from about 1980 that i had. Never found silver or an IH. Just clad and junk and once a zink "mill", sales tax token. Thought it was interesting but prob. not very effective w/out instructions to operate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread