What's new

Teller wanted $1,250 for my $500 box of halves

weighit

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
550
Reaction score
244
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Went to get my normal box of halves today, new teller. The box was open when she brought it up to the counter, looked like it had been dropped and the box split. She grabs a couple of rolls trying to rearrange all the loose rolls and put them back into some kind of order. Each roll said in printing, $25.00 in dollar coins. So she asked me how many rolls are in the box, I said 50 so she hits the calculator and said $1,250 dollars please. WHAT, these are $10.00 rolls, 20 coins per roll. She said the rolls say $25.00 so that is what I have to charge you, or my drawer will be wrong. I reached over the counter to the box and took one roll out, opened it up and laid the coins on the counter, see 20 coins, 50 cent coins that equals ten dollars, not $25. I spot 2 silver rimmed coins in the 20 I just laid there, so I knew I was leaving with that box! She said something is wrong, I need to get a supervisor. The lady in charge walks over, said looks like someone used the wrong wrappers at the vault. It is just $500, your drawer will be fine. I happened to look at the coin tray and spotted a silver quarter, asked if I could have it and she exchanged a clad quarter for the 1952. The box had a total of 6-1964, 4-1968, 1-1967, 6-1966 & 1-1969. I was pretty happy with today's box.
 
Upvote 0
And you got that box in Arizona???

that would be the second best box I have EVER gotten, in four YEARS of this. In AZ.

Dang that's a GREAT box for out here!!
 
Yes, I've had at least 8 skunk boxes at this bank in a row, but this was a real winner today.
 
That's happened to me the past couple weeks, only the wrappers have been inside out. I got a few boxes last year like yours, but the bank never saw them.

Joad
 
That's a great box.. never gotten them in the wrong wrappers and never would want them in the wrong paper either. :icon_thumleft:
 
thats an awesome box!!! also, ive never gotten wrong wrappers, but i have gotten many different types/designs of half wrappers. keep it up and hh!
 
first of all, great box!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

second, i'd weigh and only open some (ones with the right weight of course), and try to deposit the others :laughing7:

at $25 each, you ake 250% on your purchase :laughing7:
 
Very nice box! And an amusing story to go with it :)

For quarters I don't ask for a specific one, just usually ask for $5 in quarters, or whatever it will take to clean out their tray. I try not to alert people to silver... I thought I had a silver one yesterday, but turned out to just be a state parks quarter of some type, really shiny edge, but a slight hint of copper if you look at it close.
 
conpewter said:
For quarters I don't ask for a specific one, just usually ask for $5 in quarters, or whatever it will take to clean out their tray. I try not to alert people to silver...

Correct. For any teller tray purchase, as conpewter states, you don't want to bring any unwanted attention to the "S" word. Simply buy what's in the tray, of the denomination you're interested, to ensure it includes the one(s) you want.
 
thurmownator said:
conpewter said:
For quarters I don't ask for a specific one, just usually ask for $5 in quarters, or whatever it will take to clean out their tray. I try not to alert people to silver...

Correct. For any teller tray purchase, as conpewter states, you don't want to bring any unwanted attention to the "S" word. Simply buy what's in the tray; to ensure it includes the one(s) you want.

I always just ask for the one I want. Not worried about the unwanted attention.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom