What's new

Tellers and silver...

placerman

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
286
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
I tried the donut route with the tellers at my pick up bank this week. I wanted to thank them for the two great boxes I got the day before and perhaps get a little info from them.

It worked. They were thrilled...lol

They even told me not to worry about the fees. I think that had more to do with the manager was out to lunch... Maybe I should try to pick up during her lunch hour to save on the fees?

Anyway as they basked in the glow of chocolate donut bliss, they started talking to me about silver.

One of them told me that she considered doing the same thing, but that she intercepted so much silver in her job each week that sometimes it takes her whole paycheck to pay for it all. The other two tellers grinned and I'm sure all three of them spend a significant portion of their pay exchanging silver change for regular coinage. I know this is true as I have personally seen her cash out entire coin collections containing hundreds of dollars in face value silver coins.

Strangely they are the same tellers who called me when someone brought some NGC slabbed coins in.

Anyway, Im thinking about a career in being a bank teller....lol
 
Upvote 0
Interesting....I know that some tellers block, some just don't care; like my wife and the girls she works with...an old guy cashed in some silver dollars and one teller blocked and pocketed. Nothing worth mentioning has come through their bank in a couple years, besides a 40% half here, a silver roosie there.....ffd
 
The first time I ever ordered halves from this bank I ended up being about 30 seconds too late to snag around 400 face worth of silver.

He walked in and cashed it all in and walked out. By the time I made it to the teller she had already pocketed it.

Ive seen them do it once before and after todays conversation I figure this happens here quite often.
 
So much for discouraging new CRH'ers, that story will inspire whole army of prospectors!
 
The Manager at one of the banks that I have an account with told me any employee of the bank can not buy silver or old currency, out of the teller trays. It is a newer rule. She said they all did it for years before the rule. It is a big chain, and I have saw tellers in the same chain at other locations hold them Ben's back when they sold me Halves and they even said that they were for them. They can most likely get away with it on loose coins, but I doubt they will dig through rolls if they have a policy like that.
 
depends on the area i suppose... but have made friends with tellers at like 5 banks and all said not much come in... but maybe they do not see it, i guess?
 
d2arcing said:
depends on the area i suppose... but have made friends with tellers at like 5 banks and all said not much come in... but maybe they do not see it, i guess?


That's what they want you to think....lol
 
I dunno.....my teller has a thing for me, and she still says that not much comes in =\
 
I wait till after a holiday and get boxes of marked down chocolate candy like Russell Stover and take it to my now happy bank tellers. They now will hold the good stuff for me and the manager does not care because she likes the candy also. this has worked well for me for the last two years.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom