Tesoro Lobo Supertraq sensitivity

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Hello all, I have a few questions about the LST's sensitivity. First off, let me state that I have only had the machine for about a month. Secondly it is my second machine next to the Minelab X-Terra 70. I read the manual, and watched some of the videos on youtube and whatnot, and figured it would be a snap to figure out. My first hunt with the LST was mixed at best. I had the sensitivity set at about 8.5, and was running discrimination off and on, but the disc. was never set above 3. The LST was finding pieces of small wire no more than 1/2 inch long at about 3-4 inches depth. This sensitivity is a double edged sword.....seems to be great in relatively clean ground, but if there was any trash at all, it would scream. My question is, can I find a happy medium between sensitivity and depth for smaller targets. I understand that most nuggets found here in my part of California are relatively small (match head size up to .dwt or so), so a PI machine isn't going to do any better than the LST, especially in the mineralized ground we have here. I don't want to negate the machines abilities by turning the sensitivity down too far, or turning the discrimination up too high. Any advice you guys can give would be great.

Upvote 0

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Keverett,

Here is something you may want to try with your LST. I know it works on mine.

Instead of using the normal setting for the auto ground balance, select the alkali position when using the all metal mode. Now, when you go over small targets make a few passes over the target to see if the target disappears or the signal reduces dramatically in 3 to 5 passes. If it does, it is probably a piece of rusty iron and not gold.

On my LST I don't null out gold even if it is small, but I have had a couple of people say their unit does, so it should be checked to see just how your unit reacts.

Also, on my LST when in the alkali mode, some of the smaller hotrocks that sound off disappear almost immediately if you make a couple of passes.

If you are using the normal mode and switch to the alkali to check, gold may initially be ignored but the signal will come back after a couple of passes. On my unit, I can change modes and the change is transparent, but on another unit, that wasn't the case. Personally, I usually run mine in the alkali mode when nugget hunting with it.

At least this is something to try with your unit to see how it reacts. If you don't have any small gold to test, you can cut off small pieces from a brass rod using for brazing or use small lead objects for testing.

Reg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You left out the most important info needed to answer your question-size of coil. The smallest coil is absolutely great for trashy areas, boulder fields and cracks and crevices. The machine is only as good as the man behind it so practice Practice PRACTICE. There isn't 1 in a 1,000 who can handle nugget shooting as it's the absolutely hardest,tedious,expensive and time consuming form of detecting there is-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :laughing7: but ya gotta love it and lust the oro puro :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
keverett

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Thanks John, I have two coils for the LST, the standard 10" coil, and a 8" round concentric coil. I figured that the standard DD coil would handle the trash better than the concentric. I have looked at some of the other coils, but I didn't want to buy one new until I had heard from some members about what they thought.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concentric is more sensitive to smaller gold BUT the DD punches deeper and handles bad ground much better. DD for beaches too in alkali mode. tons a au 2 u 2 -John :icon_sunny:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure your LST has the discrimination switch on (down position), and the mineral switch (black sand/alkalai) set in the middle. Its in the directions, and I do not know why it helps, but it does help. You can put your discrimation switch off after, if you want.

Depending on what you are detecting for is the key to how to set it.

In some instances, putting it on alkalai can help, but I don't usually do that.

If you are looking for coins - I put sensitivity about 6, discrimination about 7. If there may be rings in the area, (like fairgrounds, etc), I turn up the sensitivity and lower the discrimination.

In a beach setting, I switch it off discrimination completely and go with all-metals, and dig every thing.

B

Calavo

Greenie
Dec 9, 2009
Fallbrook
Detector(s) used
Tesoro LST
I, too, bought the LST after reading good reviews and finding a lack of complaining by LST owners. As I've posted here, I've only been out of my backyard twice, but am amazed at the sensitivity of this machine. It is strangely like learning a musical instrument, huh? Thanks much for the pointers. My local prospecting club has a couple of LST owners and I've grabbed onto their coattails to gather as much information from them as I can, too. Please feel free to post anymore pointers and tips for the LST. such a quiet bunch of folks.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: your on the right track to being a successful nuggetshooter grasshopper-continue on your quest at being the best and oro puro will follow you where ever you go-tons a au 2 u 2 -John PS not quiet--jus' busy--off the net by 6 and gone -usually--except winter storms/cold/rain/sleet and dredging too :thumbsup:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
does your ground limit you to a sens. setting of 8.5,i run mine wide open but my soil only runs from 67-72 on my gamma 6000..Supertraqs are very straight forward machines..all metal is simple clean ground and bob coil to ground balance..Disc mode just eliminate iron and dig,its a shame they eliminated the ground balance in disc mode,use to have it on the original lobo,non supertraq version..Me unfortunately only have gold on the beach and i use my cz's for that..
must be sweet to live where raw gold is in the ground,i'd live at the gold grounds and would be the go to guy as i would know the areas,,lol

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:headbang: your on the right track to being a successful nuggetshooter grasshopper-continue on your quest at being the best and oro puro will follow you where ever you go-tons a au 2 u 2 -John PS not quiet--jus' busy--off the net by 6 and gone -usually--except winter storms/cold/rain/sleet and dredging too :thumbsup:

Hey John you should have said he's "on the right traq":laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Set your Sensitivity NO HIGHER than 6 (Six) or you'll lose depth on small pickers. If you are hunting nuggets ALWAYS hunt in All Metal. You NEVER need to use the Alkali setting unless you are in HEAVY black sand. The moment you switch to Discriminate mode, the machine goes into PRESET mode, and you will lose 1/3 - 1/2 of your depth. If you want more info, call Rusty Henry aTesoro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread